Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday, December 5, 2010

It's been a good Saturday. Felt good when I got up. I was up and down reading that crazy murder mystery, but I did get some good sleep. My ears are much better. I only have trouble with them on occasion and can hear better in my left ear. I'll still have them checked out when I get back to the states, but I'm thankful for the healing that has come.

We stayed at the house today. Mary did a little laundry and I'll do some tomorrow. We hang the clothes out on a line, which I enjoy. We have a dryer inside, but using it makes the house even hotter, so we try to just use the clothesline. The old washer, which is outside in the courtyard, is still hanging in there. yay

Mary and I each worked on our Spanish lessons most of the day. We fixed lunch (pasta shells with canned sauce, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, toasted bread in the skillet). It was tasty. We spent more time studying after lunch.

About 4pm, we took our walk along the beach. We were out for an hour and a half. It was nice not to have to rush before sunset. It is so interesting to see how different the tide is each evening. It comes in closer in different places each day. We met a few cows along the beach on the north end. As we were walking back to the house, we saw a seagull that had crash landed on the beach. It's legs were in weird positions. It let us get a little close to it and Mary took a picture. But it only moved it's head around to watch us and didn't try to move it's wings or legs. The tide was getting closer and I think it probably drowned once the water got deep enough. We didn't know what to do for it.

After we got back to the house, I jumped in the shower to get all the sweat and sand off from our walk. The shower water definitely feels better when I'm hot during the day, than when I'm cooler in the evening. But it was definitely refreshing!

Mary and I talked a lot about the people at the Sewer Ponds that we have been ministering to. It's nice to see their faces in our minds. We talked about the translators and how much we care about them. It will be so fun to have them over the Tuesday before Christmas for a dinner and fellowship. I can't wait to meet their families.

I read some more of that crazy mystery book while Mary got on my computer this evening. She's getting better at navigating facebook. Hopefully, we'll be able to post some pictures next week after we pick up a card reader from Radio Shack. We decided to invest in it and keep it here in Nic, so we can download anyones pics to the computer.

I've been getting eat up with mosquitoes at night, so I sprayed my bed and body down with bug spray tonight. Hopefully, those little buggers will leave me alone. I can't imagine that I'm all that tasty to begin with, but maybe so.

My sister Pam came home from the hospital today. She was feeling tired and pretty sore, but so thankful to have the surgery over. I'm keeping her in my prayers as she heals and gets stronger. I'm praying for Rob, too, as he takes care of her. I know he is relieved to have this behind them and just have the radiation treatments to do in the future. Everything is looking pretty good for her. Thank You Lord.

Mary and I were talking about some books I read as a kid, The Boxcar Children series. I loved the way they took whatever they had available and lived with it. I've always wanted to have that kind of simple life. I realize that God is allowing me to do so as I live with few possessions and am free to come and go to Nic and the states and anywhere else He leads. I'm thankful to all who make my life comfortable. I love being here in Nic and living very simply with minimal stuff, some of it old but still very useful, and just taking each day as it comes. People live here (and other places around the world) with very little conveniences or even necessities. We take so much for granted. I can appreciate what other people go through each day when I'm living a little closer to their circumstances. God bless all those who barely get by each day. Help me see how I can be of assistance to them. Help me see their needs, both physical and spiritual. Help me find ways to make a bond and to be able to share You.

I have to say that I'm very blessed to be able to have a computer and internet here. What a great thing! I love being able to keep in touch with people and know their prayer needs on Facebook. I love being able to share my thoughts on this blog. Last time I was here I hand wrote my thoughts in my journal (for 6 weeks) and then typed them all on the blog when I got home. It's nice to be able to post them right away. I know that many people are following along so that they can know how best to pray for me and the ministry and the people here. I also hope that many people are encouraged to seek the Father's will in their lives and see that we are all just ordinary people and can allow God to do extraordinary things through us.

I'm going to sleep now (at least when I finish that stupid book) and rest easy in this place that God has allowed me to be. Dirt, sweat, bugs and all. It's perfect. Because it's where God wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment