Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's Thursday and another week is flying by.

It's been another good day in Nic. We woke up this morning and started our daily routines. Mary wakes up before me and has her coffee (and cheetos) for breakfast. I got up and had cold 'super' oatmeal. I love it! We had our respective quiet times.

We looked over our class stuff for this afternoon. We discussed a little on the Spanish lessons. Then we got ready for the afternoon in León. German picked us up at 1:30 and we headed in to the Sewer Ponds. I like the 3 of us serving together, but it feels funny not having the energy of the teams. It's good to be able to serve both ways.

Pastor Miguel met us at the Sewer Ponds and some of the people were gathered to see what we were up to. We explained that the classes are for the adults this time and we took a soccer ball and some frisbees for the kids to play with while we had the adults in class. I taught the class today and Mary will teach the one tomorrow. German translates for us. Most everyone paid attention and some responded when asked questions. I think they like the class and I look forward to the possibility of having weekly Bible studies there in the future.

Pastor Miguel asked each family about their children. The week before Christmas, we will be bringing toys to the children and we are trying to get a count of how many of different ages there are in the community.

After the class, we headed over to the Concrete Pit area to talk with the people there. Since we haven't had a presence there for a very long time, and it was only very short term, we need to establish relationships with the people in the area. We spoke to them about our desire to have a feeding there next week and to have classes there for the adults. They were receptive. We also found out the actual name of the area. It's called Mariana Samson. We also found out that the concrete pit is a collection spot for the waste water of the area. Not the sewage, but just the used water. We ran into the 3 brothers that Mary and I met on Tuesday. They are just as cute as they were then. I look forward to getting to know some of these families better.

It is so wonderful to get to spend these weeks between teams here in Nic. Mary and I are getting to have a presence in the areas and get familiar with the people. I like the opportunity of getting to build relationships over time in addition to the blitz ministry we do with teams one week at a time.

It was another beautiful, hot day here. We don't take it for granted. Since we got back close to sunset, Mary and I missed our beach walk. We may have to switch to early morning walks on the days that we are out in the afternoon/evenings.

After spending time at the 2 ministry areas, we stopped in town at Radio Shack (yes, they have one) to look at a memory card reader that hooks up to a computer. They didn't have one in stock, so we might go back another day. I haven't decided if I want to get one yet. We also walked through a store that sells appliances and furniture. You can buy it for one price for cash, or spend a ton more money by making payments. We also stopped at a hardware store to get a new faucet handle for the outside water pipe that goes to the washing machine, which leaks. It's interesting to see how the different stores conduct business here.

A quick stop at Eskimo for double dip cones (cono jumbo) for just 20 córdovas (about $1) and we were on our way home.

German came in the house to go over 'numbers' (bookkeeping) and other information. Then he went home and Mary and I enjoyed leftover chicken breast sandwiches, cucumbers and carrots for dinner.

We worked on stuff for the class tomorrow and got on facebook a little bit. I pulled up some of the pics from when I lived in NYC, but the internet here is very slow sometimes and we got aggravated waiting on the pics to come up. We decided to call it a night and came to our rooms before 8pm.

I called my sister, Pam, who is having breast cancer surgery tomorrow. They are also going to take out her gallbladder while she is under. She has uncontrollable bloodpressure and spiking insulin, so the surgery is a little dicey. She allowed me to pray for her over the phone. I was blessed to pray with my brother-in-law, Rob, too. I pray that her surgery goes well, recovery is quick and easy and most of all, that she finds Jesus through all of this.

It's not even 10pm yet, but I am so ready for sleep. God has blessed me with another day of being in this lovely country and serving Him. I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment