Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday, December 6, 2010

It has been a very nice Sunday here in Nic. Mary and I enjoyed our time chatting this morning. I did a load of laundry and hung it out to dry on the clothesline. It doesn't take long at all to dry. We finned for ourselves for meals today. We have lots of fruits and veggies to choose from. I finished off the (cold) pasta. yum.

I talked to my sister Pam today and she sounded better than I have heard her for months! She is tired and sore, but feeling so much better without that old gallbladder! I know exactly how she feels about that! She is looking forward to recovering from the breast cancer surgery and getting the radiation treatments over with.

I fixed a bowl of instant mashed potatoes for a late lunch and Mary had a peanutbutter sandwich. We then left with German about 3pm to head off to church this evening. We stopped in León to pick up Christopher (one of the translators, and one of my 'sons') and his wife Evelyn and her son Isaac and Arron. We then went out to Pastor Miguel's church for a nice little service. I got to share a few words and German translated. Mary didn't want to talk in front of the group. At the end of the service, one young lady prayed to accept Christ and Pastor Miguel had her come up front. He asked if I would pray for her. I was honored to. Of course, I say long prayers, and with each line being translated (thanks Christopher) it takes even longer. It was wonderful to meet a new sister in Christ.

Pastor Miguel's church has a tin roof, metal poles and a dirt floor, which they sprinkle water on and then sweep with a broom to prepare it for church. As we were sitting there during the service, dogs came and went. Behind the pulpit, through some woods, we could see a shack/house with some chickens and a turkey running around the yard. For a while Mary and I watched a little boy come running from one end of the house with the turkey hot on his heels. He would turn and run back behind the house and then show up running back with the turkey still in hot pursuit. It was funny. All in all, I kind of like not having walls on the church since you can get a good breeze. But the plan is for concrete walls to go up and that's okay, too. :)

We stopped at On The Run on our way back into town. We got drinks and snacks for everyone. Then we dropped Christopher and Evelyn off at their house. After that, we stopped by and picked up German's family and they rode with us out to the house. Their kids are growing. They are so precious!!

It was about 6:45 when Mary and I were left alone and ready for some dinner. I fixed an egg sandwich and she had grilled cheese. (we are such gourmets!) We sat downstairs and talked for quite a while. It was nice. Then about 8pm, we ended up in our rooms upstairs ready for turning in for the night. It gets really dark here when the sunsets since there aren't many street lights. At 7pm we felt like it was 10 and were ready for bed!

I was up last night until 1am reading the end of that dumb murder mystery. It was good. But I'm glad to be back to more boring bedtime reading.

This morning I listened to part of the book of Acts in Spanish on my iPod while reading along in my bi-lingual Bible. I enjoy this very much. I dream that someday I will be fluent in Spanish and can just pick up the Bible and read it like crazy, and be able to listen to the Bible on my iPod and understand everything in real time. :)

As we drove through town today, we could see how much the people are celebrating December, Christmas and the Thirteenth Month. There are the usual shops inside, outside and on the square. Plus there are many shops set up on side streets and even a carnival with rides and food booths and games. I asked German if the food was okay to eat there and his eyes got big and he said NO. Not that I was wanting anything from there, but it's always interesting to me to see the differences in what is safe to eat and what is not. There were men handing Christmas lights up on more of the street lights today. It will be pretty to see on some of the evenings that German is going to take us to town to see the celebrations. I'll have to figure out my camera so that I can take some nighttime shots.

Well, I'm pretty tired now, so I'll call it a night. I made it to almost 10pm. I know I will sleep well tonight. Although the mosquitoes don't seem to be too frightened of the bug spray on my legs. They have started feasting on my feet. It's the first time I've had to worry with mosquito bites in December! But even for that, I'm thankful. So thankful to be here in Nic serving our wonderful Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment