Friday, December 24, 2010

December 24, 2010

It's Christmas Eve. What a special day. And even more special to be in Nicaragua today. To be celebrating with friends and (Nica) family. Away from the US type of commercial holiday. Giving to others, enjoying fellowship, loving our Savior. I am truly blessed.

I started off the day with some reading, then Bible Study, then Spanish study, a large load of laundry (which dried on the clothesline in under 2 hours), beans and rice for brunch, shower and then ready to leave at 1:30pm. It was a really nice morning and early afternoon.

German picked us up and quickly asked for 2 water bottles. He was rambling about someone charging for something and I couldn't make out what he meant, but I grabbed 2 extra water bottles and put them in the van. Mary and I loaded up and we took off for León. What German was talking about is that the police checkpoint, which is usually unmanned except for holiday time, was stopping people and charging them to enter into the Poneloya (where the house is) and Las Peñitas areas (because they are beach areas). Even though he was picking up people who actually live here (us), they wanted to charge him. So he talked them into a 'payoff' of 2 water bottles. As we were driving through the checkpoint towards town, he slowed down and handed the officer the water bottles. Debt paid.

We made it into town and stopped at La Unión to pick up a couple of items that German needed and Mary grabbed some eggs and cookies to put in Saturnino and Araceliz's Christmas goody bags. I stayed in the van, which was parked right in front of the store. While they were inside, the parking lot guard came and told me to move the van. I explained in Spanish that I couldn't drive it (confidentially, I would try if it were an emergency, but I didn't see this as an emergency). He said that it was blocking the ramp for the carts of groceries to be wheeled out to the cars by the baggers. I told him that the driver was hurrying back out. He still wanted me to move the van, so I played like a dumb Gringa and told him I didn't understand Spanish. Shame on me, but I didn't want to move the van, and I knew German and Mary would be right out. Once they came and got in the van, we pulled out and the guard saw German was the driver (German knows half of the population of León) and waved hello to him really big. I guess he got over being mad...

We went to Pastor Miguel's little church in the countryside. They were starting their small service in the church building (which is a roof, metal support posts and a dirt floor). Looking up, you could see a Winnie the Pooh piñata hanging from the rafters. The kids were all sitting in their small plastic chairs in the front of the small congregation. We had some a cappella songs for the kids and then Pastor Miguel did a sweet message for them. After that, Mary spoke on our behalf, telling them that we were glad to be there for Christmas with them. Then it was time to let the games begin...

The chairs were all moved to the sides of the 'building' and the kids took turns hitting Pooh with a stick. Some bigger boys were pulling him up and down and swinging him around. It was not easy for the kids to get a good swing. I got some video of it on my camera. Finally, Pooh was beheaded, after losing and arm and a leg. The kids grabbed the candy. They all sat back down and refreshments were passed out to everyone. We were included. They have really yummy bread and rolls at the bakeries here (no preservatives or additives) and the sandwich was a fresh roll with a little mayo and mustard on it and a very thin slice of meat that looked like salami. It was so thin you could probably read through it. It was tasty, though. They also passed out cups of pepsi (Mary's favorite) and orange soda. I stuck with my usual bottled water that I carry with me at all times.

A little boy, named Alfredo, sat next to me and was so sweet. He let me take his picture and told me he is 5 years old. His mom was not there, but his 9 year old sister was. Alfredo offered me one of his pieces of candy. He didn't have much, but he insisted that I take it. He wanted very much to share with me. Then he gave me the last few bites of his sandwich, even though I had my own. What a sweet little boy!

After refreshments, it was time to line up and receive some toys. These were things that we had left from our toy distribution earlier in the week. It was great to see these kids get some stuff, too. They were appreciative and happy. Alfredo got a little baggie with a few McDonald's type toys. One was a motorcycle with a plastic figure riding it. He was very happy with it and proudly showed it to me. There were 2 other small toys in the bag. He was also handed a small baggy with about 6 pieces of candy in it. He opened it to get a piece out and then needed help in tie-ing the bag back. Mary handed me her empty styrofoam cup to put the candy in. But Alfredo wanted to give the perfectly useful cup to his sister. So I tied the baggie the best I could. He was happy.

It humbles me to see how people with so little are so thankful for whatever they get. They live with not enough of anything and they share what little they have. What wonderful attitudes. (not every place is like that) Today was special for me.

We loaded back up in the van and ran an errand with German to see some people for about 10 minutes. We gave some friends a ride back into León with us and then stopped at On the Run to get drinks and use the bathroom. German had asked us earlier if we wanted to stop and get a coke and that he would buy. But I had my water and Mary had her pepsi from the house. We told German to go ahead and stop and get himself something, but he didn't want to stop just for him. So when we stopped this time, German was happy to get his coke and had it safely nestled in the drink caddy on the dash of the van. When we stopped kind of quick, my backpack fell in the floor. I grabbed it and accidentally knocked German's coke can out of the holder and into the floor. He lost over half of the soda. I felt so bad. He had wanted that coke so much. He said maybe this was God telling him that he didn't need the whole can or he would get fat. ha We've had a good time laughing lately...

German took us to Joe's house and dropped us off. It was about 5pm, I think. We had met Joe's parents at church. Since Joe calls me Mami Vickie, the whole family does, too, even his real Mom and Dad. Shortly after we got there, a parade (the posada) came down the street. It was kids (with adults walking a long the sides) dressed in costumes to portray Joseph and Mary going to the Inn. They walk down the street to a designated house and then are offered refreshments. Kind of like our Christmas carolling for cookies and hot chocolate. Of course, I got some pics of this, too.

We sat around talking and then we heard some drums going. There was a Tall Lady group just around the block. We walked down there to see them. I got some video of them doing their routine. They posed for a picture for me, too. Then we went back to Joe's and sat in rockers outside on the front porch. His street is a busy one way street that heads downtown about 7 blocks away. He says that usually there are people with tables and chairs out on the sidewalks and street and music going and lots going on all the time. But since it is Christmas Eve, everyone goes downtown. We saw a lot of people walking by. You could hear music from many different houses. It was like the old days in Mayberry, but with a Latin beat. There were a couple more Tall Lady groups going by. One of the Tall Ladies danced with Mary. The short Nica man shook my hand (with his stuffed rubber gloved hand-eww) and they went on down the road.

Some of Joe's extended family came for dinner. Marcela came by taxi, which took a while to travel across town with all the goings on in downtown. Joe's pastor and his daughter joined us, too. We had quite a full table and I failed to get a picture of everyone. I think I was too interested in the food and forgot. It was probably about 8pm or so when we ate. They had asked if we wanted chicken from the factory or India chicken (raised in their backyard). Mary and I opted to try both. I personally loved the India chicken, it was very dark meat, even darker than turkey legs. Both kinds of chicken was prepared the typical Nica way for Christmas, with vegetables, green and black olives, prunes and a yummy mild-almost bbq flavored sauce. We also had rice and salad with a great vinegar and chunky onion/pepper dressing to spoon over it, and some great bakery bread. Mary didn't like her India chicken, so I got to eat both of the legs of India chicken, plus the small breast portion of factory chicken. Yummo! Despite the old commercial, we had no room for jello, when they asked if we wanted gelatin for our dessert. I was very content with the chicken. Throughout dinner, we could hear the neighbor's music. It was a mixture of American carols and Nicaraguan tunes, all in Spanish, of course. One of the children's songs almost sounded like the Chipmonks.

Joe and Marcela opened their gifts from us and then we looked at some pics of the family that were taken when Joe and Lizbeth were growing up. What fun! Joe's cousin, Carlos, was hilarious. While we were chatting with Joe outside at the beginning of the visit, Joe's Mom and sister were sitting with Carlos. He was pretending to translate what we were saying. Of course, he was making the whole thing up. Joe kept cracking up and then telling us what Carlos said. Mary told Carlos, through body language, that she was keeping her eyes on him and watching him. They kept doing that gesture to each other through out the evening.

We hated to eat and run, but it was about 9:30 and we were pretty tired. Joe's Mom looked pretty tired after cooking all day. Joe was going to take us home in his Dad's truck. Marcela was going with us. We were thinking that it would be a tight fit for the four of us in the cab of the little truck. Mary and I were telling everyone goodbye and then Joe said that the whole family was going with us. We were going to ride in the back of the truck (which had a tarp tied over a metal frame). We sat on benches on either side. The back end was open and the front part of the tarp was open a little above the cab of the truck. Joe's Mom, Dad and Marcela rode in the cab. 8 of us rode in the back. I took pics of us. We were having fun joking around and laughing. Joe said that this is how they go to church all the time. They have a lot of fun together.

We made it to the team house and they let us out. Everyone got out of the truck and we said our goodbyes again. Joe's Mom said in English "Mami Vickie, Good night". I gave her a thumbs up for her English. I really enjoyed being with them. Carlos said he was going to practice his English and he told me to keep practicing my Spanish. I look forward to seeing him again. He is quite the character!

It was fun to be in their home. Joe and his sister were both born there and have lived there all their lives. Joe is 26 and Lizbeth is 17. He loves the neighborhood and has such wonderful memories of being a kid there. I would love to live in a neighborhood like that, myself.

It's been a wonderful Christmas Eve. Now it's time to go to sleep. It's almost Christmas Day, actually. I'm quite content, both physically and emotionally. Spiritually, I'm overflowing with love for my Jesus. Happy Birthday to my Wonderful Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment