Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1, 2010

Well, hello December! You snuck up on me. I knew you were coming, but I was distracted by life. It's interesting that you find your way to a hot climate. I've been many places around the country when winter and December have come, but it has always been cold wherever I was. This will be fun to walk along the beach, picking my feet up in the sand the same way I would in a deep snow.

Back home in the states, everyone is hustling and bustling around getting ready for Christmas and all that is involved with family, food, gifts, giving to those in need, and of course, preparing to share Jesus and His story in the most beautiful way.

Here in Nic, we're enjoying the lovely weather, eating lots of fruit, sweating and getting bug-bit, but we are still going to spend time with loved ones, prepare food, give gifts, especially to those in need, and of course, share Jesus and His story in the most beautiful way.

Here in León, they have been decorated for Christmas since before we got here on Nov 17. As I've mentioned before, the streets have colored lights, the stores are bursting with wares to be sold as gifts, the cashiers at the grocery store have been wearing Santa hats, Christmas trees and Nativities have been put out everywhere. It is very festive here since it's time for the Thirteenth Month (extra month's pay at year's end). There will be all kinds of festivals and parades and celebrations. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the traditional festivities and also to share Christmas worship services with the Believers here. German is going to take Mary and I to a few special celebrations during the month. And since they celebrate Christmas on Dec 24, we will get to go to some special services, too.

Beth will fly in on Christmas Day, and she and Mary and I will get to spend Christmas night together relaxing. This holiday season has been hard for Mary since she will be away from home and kids and grandkids, and also because she lost her mother and brother this past year. She thinks being here will help her get through the time of missing them. I know she will miss her kids and grandkids and she has fun checking in with them on Facebook. We will have some special quiet moments the week of Christmas, I'm sure.

Today I made a big pot of oatmeal just like at home. I put it in small plastic containers in the fridge. I love to eat it cold, too. Oliver used to make such a face over my oatmeal that I would bring to our early Bible Study class. I thought of him today as I was making it. I put oats, walnuts, craisins, sunflower seeds, flax seeds (and at home I add soy and cinnamon). I forgot the cinnamon for this pot. I'll have to get some at the store. Anyway, it's like eating a mushy granola bar, but it's so much better. Mary didn't want any. She says if she starts eating that healthy stuff now her body will go into shock. :)

For lunch we ate our roasted chicken and veggies leftovers. It was just as good as the first time. Dinner was peanutbutter sandwich and cucumbers for Mary and I had watermelon, cucumbers, cooked apples and chocolate snack pack pudding. Now, doesn't that sound like a balanced meal???

We worked on Spanish lessons today and had so much fun laughing. Mary is really wanting to put all the words that she knows into sentences. We're going to study a little bit every day. Now, I need to be studying my Spanish grammar, too. ugh. But I need to be dedicated to setting aside the time to do this. It will help us both in the ministry, too.

We took a pre-sunset walk along the beach again today. The tide was way out. It's amazing to walk along and see how high up the waves come in at night. Way over our heads where we are walking at sunset. There is so much going on in this world that God keeps up with. Every wave, every fist, every shell, every piece of sand... and that's on for one square inch of beach!

Saturnino was back before six tonight. I think he is trying to make sure that Mary and I get back in the gate and the house. He takes good care of us.

We're relaxing here in the 'living room' (downstairs breezeway) and fighting off the mosquitoes. They are fierce tonight. I'm enjoying catching up with friends on facebook, following blogs for people with some serious medical challenges, checking on the news in the world. I don't miss having a tv at all. Of course, I'm spoiled by having the internet...

We will be going out to the Sewer Ponds and the area that for lack of knowing the real location we'll call the Concrete Pond tomorrow for our first classes with the adults. We'll see how the set up goes. We'll take Bibles to them, even though many cannot read or write. I'm really praying that many will want to listen and learn about God, the Bible, Jesus, Salvation, etc. We usually just speak about Salvation when we are doing Fiestas or street witnessing. This will give us a chance to give them more information about Christianity. And someday, maybe we can have weekly Bible studies...

I think I'll sign off for now and get some reading done before bedtime. I took a cold pill to try to dry up my head earlier and it made me really sleepy. I had a good nap before our walk, but I still feel like I could fall asleep. I'll go spray down good with bug spray and relax with my book. Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment