Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's been a great week of working on Angel Tree. We've gotten calls for more people to help and we're up to 170 'Angels' who are receiving gifts for Christmas thanks to the wonderful people at FBC Rogers (and a few others in the community who wanted to participate - some loving people at the Sr Adults Wellness Center and Vicki and her co-workers at Jiffy Kwick all asked if they could help).

I'm very thankful to the Elves who have helped this week. Kenneth, Katrina, Tori, Connie, Deanna and Angie. They've put in lots of hours and we've gotten so much done. As fast as we could process the gifts, the school counselors and social workers came and picked them up. Kenneth has been great in delivering bags of gifts and bikes to Northside school this week. The school personnel have been blown away by the generosity and love expressed by FBCR's Angel Tree this year. It's such a witness to everyone who is involved in many ways. (we've been blessed to be able to go through the counselors and social workers to find the families truly in need)

A special Thank You to Chris, a young man who donated 2 'just like new' bikes to a family. And to Kenneth, who drove way out into Bella Vista to pick them up. Thank you to Mom, Charlotte, who brought it all together.

Elves have sorted gifts, wrapped many, bagged them up to go to the families, cleaned up our mess and made me smile all week. Wednesday was a long day, but I really enjoyed getting to spend time with Angie that evening. Thank you to her sweet hubby, who allowed us to have some 'girl time' to sort and process lots of gifts. He was nice to share her.

Tomorrow we will start preparing for the Food Box packing and delivery party on Saturday. We're only doing about 50 boxes this year (we've done over a hundred in years past), but with our congregation supporting our weekly Food Pantry, and also giving so generously to the Angel Tree, it's not surprising to do less this year. This will be the first year that we have multiple volunteers come to help pack and deliver the boxes. My prayer is for the number of volunteers to match the amount of work, so that no one feels overworked and no one feels under utilized. It will be nice to spend even the smallest amount of time with people who come to give of themselves to bless others. I treasure those times of working together.

I haven't made any fudge this week. I think I'll make some next week when I'm back home at Deanna's and maybe Cora (Deanna's granddaughter who's a missionary kid in Las Vegas) will want to help. I can give fudge as a surprise gift anytime, especially after Christmas.

Gus and I are getting along just fine. He doesn't even bark at me when I come in at night now. He loves to snuggle and just sit touching some part of his body on me. I especially like it when he puts his 'elbow' on my leg and just sits there. Sometimes he just leans on me. It's funny when he falls over.

Last night I got in late and he was wanting to play. I was very tired and just played for a few minutes. He decided to I might enjoy having one of his toys in bed with us. When I didn't play with it, he must have thought I would rather play with a different toy because he kept bringing in his toys one at a time. We ended up with a bed full of dog toys. I was so tired, I just went to sleep. Gus finally gave up and snuggled and went to sleep, too.

We played a while tonight when I got home. He is so strong and loves to play tug. He's a very fair playmate. And he's generous with his toys. We're getting along very well. (even if we keep each other awake at times with our snoring. I don't know who snores louder, but I'm getting used to him.)

I am so very thankful for the energy and good health that God has provided for me. It has made these holiday weeks enjoyable. Next week I'll get to tie up loose ends with Angel Tree and Food Boxes, make fudge, finish Deanna's gift and visit with Jake and Elaine and the kids at Deanna's.

Cuerpo Vivo is having the church Christmas dinner/party on Wed night. It will be fun and yummy! Oliver has been very good at speaking to me in Spanish as much as possible and I know it must be frustrating for him, but it's so good for me. I hope he gets blessed when I remember things that he has taught me.

While at Walmart this afternoon, I ran into the mother of my friend Megan. She is looking so forward to seeing Megan in February. She's been an M in North Africa for the last 2 years. I'll be praying for her family this Christmas as they miss Megan over the holidays.

My friend Sarah is very ill again. Another major surgery and complications from that. She made it home for a week or so and then back to ICU. What a roller coaster. I'm praying for her healing and for peace and comfort for Billy (husband) and Charlie (son). They cling to God's sovereignty and trust Him to get them all through it. I pray that people will see God at work in their lives. I know they would like that, too.

I'm praying about my future involvment with a ministry in Nicaragua. I'll be going on a mission trip in March. Please join me in prayer for God to supply the needed money for the trip. It will cost a total of $1500, of which $1000 is due on January 5th. I know God has His chosen people in mind to join me in this venture. Sometimes it can seem overwhelming to think of finances, but I'm know that God is the owner of all resources and He will provide through His people. I'm always humbled and blessed by the support of others.

Well, better go for now. Gus is trying to help me type...
I pray wonderful blessings on everyone during these weeks leading to Christmas. It's a precious time to reflect on God's love and most perfect Gift. I pray that stress and over commitment and in appropriate expectations don't distract people from enjoying their relationship with God and this special time with Him.

Merry CHRISTMAS all month long!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment