Saturday, October 31, 2009

Saturday, October 31, 2009

It's Halloween. I'm praying for God's light to shine over all the evil darkness that comes along with this day. Happy times of dressing up and having fun with games, fellowship, friends, and of course, candy. I'm staying in tonight and will miss the Trunk or Treat our church is having at the Frisco Station Mall. I know there will be tons of fun!!! I'll get to see a few trick or treaters who live in the neighborhood as they visit Miss Deanna's house. It will be fun.

It's a beautiful day today. So sunny and dry. I ran errands this morning and got to visit friends. It was a nice morning to be out.

My goal for the weekend (besides worship tomorrow) is to clean and organize my bedroom. It seems to be collecting clutter. I think I'll put on a praise cd and enjoy some rejuvenation time.

I should find out in the next couple of days when my surgery will be. I feel like I'm waiting on Christmas. What a blessing to feel good again! It's been over a year and I don't remember not hurting or feeling nauseous. I'm excited!

I stopped by the Janes' house for a visit today and came home with a bag of goodies. Not candy, but some spice grinders! I'm thrilled! I can't wait to fill them and grind away when cooking. I also borrowed a vegetarian cookbook that looks to have some really good recipes in it. Yum!

We made some really good cornbread in the baking stone pan. I've been craving fried cornbread, but haven't eaten anything fried in a very long time. Since the baking stone makes things crispy on the bottom, we decided to bake a regular batch that would go in an 8x8 pan (from scratch with healthy substitutions, of course) and spread it in the larger pan. It was about 1/2" thick and crispy on the bottom. Oh Man! It was good. We have decided to have it at least once a week. Especially since we are having a big pot of 'soup of the week'. This fall and winter will be extra tasty!

I've been missing parts of nyc this week. Grocery shopping at Whole Foods, walking down the streets and stopping in at my favorite juice bar, hearing the traffic noise, walking in Central Park, visiting the 3 story Barnes and Noble bookstore near my apartment... I even miss my apartment (although I am VERY happy and comfortable in my new digs here at Deanna's house). I think I just miss the special-ness of life 'on the mission field'. There is a special bond you feel with God and, even though I know I'm serving Him here, it's special when you make sacrifices for Him. I'll always be thankful for the good (and hard) times serving Him in nyc.

It's been crazy busy here in Rogers for me. Lots going on and lots coming up. The coat drive is going well. The school system social workers are getting coats for families. I've gotten to deliver a few coats myself. We are giving individually wrapped snacks to Northside school to send home with the kids who need food for the weekends. The Food Pantry is chugging along. The Medical Clinic is doing well. Preparation for Thanksgiving meals is gearing up. We're planning on serving 2400 meals this year. Christmas Angel Tree and Christmas Food Baskets will take up my time this week while I'm finalizing the details for the procedures and start sharing that info the church.

I'm excited to be praying about a ministry in Nicaragua that a family in our church leads. I know that God wants me to be involved with them and we are praying about the details and timing of that. In the meantime, I'm learning as much about the country, people, customs, food, needs, etc as I can and also lifting the nic people and the ministry's workers up in prayers. Please join me in praying about this. I'll share more as time goes on and as God reveals His plans.

I'm having a blast being a part of Cuerpo Vivo (our Hispanic congregation at FBCR). Jaime and Oliver and their families have always treated me as family, too. I love the people of Cuerpo Vivo (which means 'living body', by the way) and look forward to getting to know them better. Oliver has told the congregation to only speak to me in Spanish, so I'm getting immersed in the language. Pray for me people!! I need a clear heart and mind to absorb the language. But I love it!

Well, better go for now and rest up for the little goblins who will be ringing our door tonight. I didn't think to make Jet a costume. I'll have to think of something really quick. I'm sure he will like to great the kids who come by. (Deanna told me today that I have 'ruined her dog', but in a good way. )

Have a safe evening and pray for God's light to shine truth to everyone and overpower any darkness you may run into tonight. God's blessings are my 'treat' for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment