Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday, August 11, 2010

It's Friday night and I've had a grand day!

It was a little rainy this morning, so I didn't walk, but did a workout video instead. Heidi and her kids picked me up this morning to go to the Olive St church for the ministries that go on there on Friday.

I was able to spend a little time with Shirley McGimpsey at the Food Pantry. They have picked up in number of families helped each month. They are now averaging 100 families a month. Food and money to buy food is a major need. Also, volunteers to talk with the guests and share the Gospel. Sam, who is a usual Friday volunteer, was there, too. So I got to speak to him a little bit, too.

When I got over to the kitchen, Bobbi and her boys, along with Elizabeth Janes, were already at work in the kitchen. Heidi's kids are also faithful volunteers and work hard to get the place set up for the guests. Becca had provided a great menu and the Kimball's buy from her shopping list and drop off the food to the kitchen by Thursday night. It works out great.

We fed around 75 people today. The food was yummy. Besides the baked Ziti, bread, green beans and dessert made by our volunteers, Lupe brought some food donated from Abuelos, so we added 2 kinds of soup and mexican mashed potatoes. A really nice spread. We had lots of thank yous and good food comments from our guests. Many come each week to visit with each other while getting some yummy food.

We had some really hard workers and the kitchen was cleaned up in no time. The volunteers are great at their jobs and the kids work harder than most adults I know. There is need for volunteers to help set up, cook, serve, greet, evangelize and clean up. About 6 people a week is a good amount of workers, since the kids are homeschooled and can wok every Friday. Cuerpo Vivo sends some great volunteers, too. It's so nice to see both churches working together to minister to the community.

A girl from Cuerpo Vivo does free haircuts during the time of the meals. It's a great service for people. There was a slight issue with the administration of the church about doing the haircuts, but after the proper paperwork was filed in the church office, we were allowed to bless people as needed. I get impatient with redtape and jumping through hoops, so it's a good thing that I get to serve in a thirdworld country most of the time now. :)

Tomorrow I get to go with the Cuerpo Vivo group to Missouri to minister along side a church and to families that were affected by the tornado earlier in the spring. I asked if it was okay for a gringa to come along. I was told that I'm part of Cuerpo Vivo, so I'm more hispanic than beans. I think that's the nicest thing that anyone has said to me in a long time!!!

Time for bed so I can get up early and head to Missouri with my friends. So much fun I'm having these 2 months of vacationing in the states! ha God is so good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment