Wednesday, September 9, 2009

September 9, 2009

The weather has been giving me the feeling of changing seasons. Even though the weather has been up and down, it makes me think of fall. Having cloudy, drizzly days have added to the feeling. It's not a bad feeling... more reflective, I guess.

I've had a really hard time with homesickness for nyc. I've never really been homesick for any place before in my life, so this is strange for me. I don't miss any one particular thing. Just mostly friends (although we still stay in touch via texting, email and facebook, just like when I was in nyc), my favorite eating places (where I could easily get healthy food and try new things), just taking off out the door and walking everywhere (good times to think and pray), working in the shelters and soup kitchens (I miss the peeps and the giving of myself), the way of life (a state of survival, financially), the anonymity that goes hand in hand with the open acceptance, the closeness and strong reliance on God... I like the "me" that lived there. I'm trying not to get too caught up in the things of 'suburbia' that can distract me. (and I'm easily distracted!)

I have been able to keep in touch with lots of my friends from nyc, some of whom have actually moved to other parts of the country. In the 3 months since I've left the city, there has been 1 marriage, 3 engagements, 1 major health improvement, 1 move to another part of the city, just to name a few things. It makes me so happy for everyone. I'm thankful for God's blessings on them all. In some strange way, it gives me more closure on leaving the group of friends.

I think often about the workers at the Project Find locations and the people from my apartment building. I wonder what they are up to, if they see God around them, if a seed was planted through our relationships... I'm thankful to God for what they have meant in my life, and I pray that they see Him when they have memories of me.

Okay, enough reminiscing!!

Yesterday, I had what I hope is my last medical test for a while. I'm hoping that the Docs can figure out what needs to be done and get on with it! I'm ready to feel strong and healthy and get about doing the things God has allowed in my life. Getting old is not for sissies! I wish I would have taken better care of the old bod when I was younger! :)

Anyway, the Dr's office called me today (the very next day - that has never happened before!) and I missed the call! ugh! I guess I'll sleep on it and find out what's up tomorrow morning. I'm trying not to get my hopes up that we're moving forward, and I'm trying not to be too disappointed if they say 'another test' like they have each time I call for results of the last one. It's all in God's hands. I just get impatient.

Deanna is visiting her daughter's family who are missionaries in Las Vegas. I miss her, especially when it's time for Wheel of Fortune. We've made lots of pretend money on that show! Taking care of the pets and the plants is a pleasure. The cat has taken over the sofa in the den. I think she is showing me who is really in charge while 'mama' is gone. :)

Precept Bible study classes started yesterday. I have really missed Precept classes while I was gone. I'm enjoying it very much. I had the chance to work on it today. This semester we're studying Covenant. It's gonna be good!!

I also got a chance to spend some time on my Spanish lessons. I can't wait until Oliver sets a time for our tutoring sessions. No more playing around...I'm serious about working hard. I need some practice, practice, practice...

Well, enough reflecting for now. I'm so thankful for all God has blessed my life with... material things, good friends, tests and trials, joy and celebration, excitement and rest. He is good in all things.

1 comment:

  1. What Spanish lessons are you doing? I'm wanting to get serious about learning it myself!

    So, you can come serve soup with me at Samaritan any time you want, girl! :-) Or just come sit in the lunchroom there and visit with the people we serve. I've been able to do that once and it's humbling and exciting at the same time.

    When you want to get out and do some walking around, let me know...I'll be your "pardner."

    ReplyDelete