Saturday, September 5, 2009

August 2009

Another monthly recap. I'm sure I'll forget so much that happened. I'm praying that God will remind of what He wants posted, if not here maybe in subsequent postings.

The month started out with me crazy busy with the planning for Back To School Bash. I was working very long days, but I was so used to doing it all myself while serving in NYC, that I just try to cover everything without imposing on other people. That's something I need to work on... Anyway, a new friend at church, Connie, spent over 40 hours just checking each of the 300 backpacks to make sure they were filled appropriately with unbroken items, etc. She was so wonderful to work with those 3 intense weeks before the Bash. God really blessed me with her!!

The Bash went well, snafus and all. It was a very hot and humid day. (are you seeing a pattern in weather on ministry days?) There was a breeze, which was one of those good news/bad news things. It helped move the stagnant hot air, but it also played havoc with the canopies and haircuts. All in all, everyone seemed to have a good time. We gave out the 300 backpacks in the first 30 minutes. Hundreds of people were lined up hours before we started. We went through a couple thousand water bottles, 900 hotdogs, enough popcorn to blow up the popping machine, 3 hours of constant sno-cone making, nachos and snack cakes. Various ministries of FBCR had stations which included a table for sign-up sheets, hand outs, etc, and a game or two. There was a station for free haircuts (very popular) and chair massages. Five inflatables were spread out over the area. Music and door prizes rounded out the festivities. It was a long, hot day, but worth all the hard work. Over 2,000 people visited us that afternoon. Some have started coming to church for worship and others are visiting our Medical Clinic and Food Pantry. We have lots of family information to follow up with to invite more families to join us to worship.

Most of the rest of the month I was busy meeting with tons of people. My challenge lately has been to become a sponge to soak up all kinds of information from different areas. I've been researching the needs in the community, ministries and agencies already in place and collecting info on the individuals and groups within our church who want opps to serve. I've met some great people and heard about some awesome programs, organizations, ministries and initiatives in the NWA area. It is exciting to me to see so many people reaching out to better the lives of others. I should soon be able to compile all of the incoming info and match needs and workers. Part of the mission for me is to help get projects and services up and going and to help equip and empower leaders to continue the work. I love all parts of those challenges.

I was busy in August running to medical tests. I had 3 in 3 weeks. The lady in the admitting office was getting to know me well, and the lady in the Imaging waiting room and I have been admiring each others short, gray hairstyles. I have another (and I hope my last) test on Sept 8. I hope then, that they will remove my finicky gallbladder. Then we can continue to baby my liver into submission. I've had some not-so-nice days and some sleepless nights with symptoms, but for the most part, I'm able to accomplish things as needed. I am looking so forward to feeling 100% again. Being in denial has not been working so good lately. I appreciate my docs, Bob and Dr. O, and the people at Northwest Bentonville have been really nice. I'm thankful for that.

The weather here has been cooler than normal for the end of August and first part of September. It puts me in a 'fall state of mind'. I've been experimenting with soup and chili recipes to make them healthy. They have been pretty tasty. I sure am enjoying getting to use a real kitchen. How fun!

I was invited to share with 2 groups of Senior ladies about God's call on my life as an M in NYC and here in Rogers. It's bittersweet to discuss NYC. I still miss it so. I miss the ministry of working in the shelters and soup kitchens. I miss my friends in the city. I miss my life there. I love living and working here in Rogers, but wish I could be both places at once. I'm also anxious to see where God sends me next. But, for now, I'll live in the moment and do my best at the task at hand. I'm thankful for God's plan in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment