Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 16-23, 2014

Jasmina called me early Sunday morning to see if she could stay at my house this week while she worked as a translator for VOH ministry.  I told her that the house is all crazy for renovations, but that I had a bed in a relatively clean room that she could sleep in.  She is always welcome.

After church, Jalisa and I were going to have lunch and then head out to her house for the afternoon, so that I could use her internet and do my Bible Study via Skype.  We got in her car and the battery was dead.  We then took a taxi to the place where we were going to grab lunch.  On the way, Jalisa realized that her house keys were back at Tamara’s house, so I jumped out and ordered our food while she made a return trip for the keys.  I had on a skirt that was flying around in the wind and she had on a fancy dress from church.  We were standing on the side of the highway trying to flag down a taxi.  It was funny.  We finally made it to her house.  The Bible Study went fine (except for the usual Skype problems) and when I finished, we walked back to the highway to try to get a ride back into town.  It was very dark and it was impossible to see what kind of vehicle was coming until it got right next to us.  We called a friend, but he couldn’t help us and then my phone ran out of minutes.  It was crazy.  We finally got a taxi and when we pulled up in front of my house, Maritza was trying to figure out a way to come and get us.  Between cars not working, phone not working, it was a typical Nica day!  Lol  I got home and did some emails and computer stuff and then headed to bed. 

I ran to the bank early on Monday and then by the grocery.  I also checked prices on washing machines in two stores for future reference.  Sofia washes our clothes by hand and I want to get a machine as soon as I can, but there are other things on the top of the priority list for now.  I also stopped to order a new mattress for Sofia’s bed.  I got back home by mid morning and got some work done.  Jasmina arrived after work and settled in to the office, which has a spare bed.  We had English Bible Study Group and then I ran over and paid my rent.  It was a full day.

My friend Kellie is working on getting a couple of trunks that I packed in January down here with the team coming from my church.  I will be so happy to get them! 

I met a lady named Juanita, who walks down our street every day with a big metal bowl of fruits and veggies on her head.  I bought some avocados and mangos from her.  I want to get her picture one of these days.  I helped her take the bowl down from her head and it is heavy!!!  Probably 50+ pounds!  I don’t know how she does it!

My friend Rydder came over for a visit with a missionary couple I had not met yet.  Their names are Josh and Betty Peace.  It was great to chat with them and I’m very excited to expand the network of missionaries that I can pray with and encourage.

The work on the house has had its ups and downs.  It’s been frustrating most of the time.  Dealing with all of the dust and such is driving me crazy.  I used to watch home improvement shows on tv and when the people would whine about the time and dirt and chaos, I would tell them to suck it up and that they were getting a nice reno soon.  I now know how they feel.  Even though I know it will be all done in a couple more weeks, I’m ready to get out of the dust and mess and chaos!!  Lol

Sofia thinks it’s funny to cook in the crockpot (silly North Americans), but she did love the tenderness of the meat!  It makes a big difference and I’m so thankful for getting to buy one, even if it was expensive.  I also got a toaster oven so that I won’t have to use the propane oven for small things.  Our kitchen will be decked out with small appliances.  Looks like a shelf at Walmart!  Lol.  The reason I bought/brought so many small appliances is because I thought I would probably live in a tiny house without a stove or anything.  But the items have come in handy, non the less. 

The ceiling finally got painted and then I made them sand it off and do it right, so technically, it got painted twice.  It looks good now.  I was so excited when they started painting the walls in the front rooms of the house.  Then the paint peeled off.  Sometimes, I just have to shake my head.  So the guys are sanding down the walls as much as possible and putting a watered down primer on them.  Painting should resume on Monday.  I’ll be so glad to get it done!

I got to hold baby Ilia next door.  Jason is in the middle of renovating the big house and Issa has had some family from the states visiting, along with Jason’s mom.  So, I have not wanted to bother them too much.  It was so fun to hold that precious 1 month old baby girl. 

On Friday, I ran some early errands and stopped in at Pan y Paz French bakery for some treats for the guys.  I got the chance to chat some strategy with Maritza and Jasmina and made some changes to my plans for the house.  Earlier in the week, I rode along with Jalisa to get a new car battery.  On Friday, I rode along with Tamara to some hardware stores to get stuff for finishing the classroom at her mission community.  Glad to be of service!

I had 2 for the Friday morning English Bible Study Group and we had to meet in the office, since the classrooms are under renovation.  I also had one student for a make up session on Friday evening. 

Jasmina went with me to the grocery store and then we relaxed at the house for a while.  After everyone was gone for the night, I swept the messy living room and dining room classrooms and put the rockers and table back in place.  It’s just a bandaid until they start work again on Monday, but it made me feel better!  I then sat in one of the rockers and just talked to Jesus for half an hour.  What a sweet time!

On Saturday, I wanted to take it easy on my brain.  Haha.  Jasmina and I went to the Claro office and started a monthly plan for my Nica phone.  Now I have unlimited calls to Claro numbers, some minutes to the Movistar customers and some free texting each month.  It will be so much easier!  We ran a few errands and then got back home before noon.  Jasmina caught a noon bus to Estelí to visit her fiancé and family for a few days before coming back to León to work this coming week.  I took a nap in the hot afternoon.  Estefanie visited for a few minutes and then Eyner brought my special ‘Jesus table’ and put in the bench tops on the planters.  I was very excited!  Another great day.

The weeks seem to go by fast, but then so much happens that it seems like they are longer than just a week.  There is so much more to do before I leave for the states on April 10.  I think I’ll have internet back up soon and that will help a lot.  Having a clean space to work from will help, too.  Then everything will be pretty much ready to add classes to the schedule and begin more ministry stuff. 


God is sovereign and I trust His timing.  I just get a little bit a head of Him sometimes.  I’m grateful for the ways that He gets me back in line.  He is Faithful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment