Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 9-15, 2014

The week started off with my Birthday!  The congregation sang to me before the service.  It was sweet.  Besides the great music and message, we also observed the Lord’s Supper.  It was wonderful.  I really feel the Holy Spirit at the church and I’m so thankful to have a place to go and be filled and renewed and to worship my heart out!  Jalisa and I went out for lunch and grabbed a few items from the grocery store.  I came home and had a nice visit from Franklin and his mother, Angela, who brought me 2 fresh fish from the market and sang a birthday song in Spanish to me.  Then I did my Bible Study on Skype for the rest of the day.  It was a nice birthday.

Monday was a hard morning for me.  I wasn’t feeling well, the house was a crazy mess from the construction getting started, it was so hot…  I was very cranky.  Some of us ladies were headed over to Jalisa’s house for a crepe brunch that Maritza wanted to host.  I really didn’t want to go, but felt that it would be more trouble to not go, so I went.  We had crepes and then spent some time in the prayer room.  I did a lot of praying and crying and just being emotional.  I think I just needed some release.  I got back home and after lunch, took a much needed nap. 

Bryan and Marcela came by for a visit.  It was so good to see them!  I miss the Nica workers from voh very much.  They are like family to me.  The rest of the evening was spend doing English Bible Study Group.  I always love sharing Jesus with this group. 

Tuesday morning, I did some work on the computer.  Then Estefanie and went over to the workshop of Eyner, who is a carpenter and husband of my friend and student Anielka.  He had samples of his work and pictures.  I commissioned him to make me a small side table for my ‘Jesus corner’ of my bedroom.  I do my quiet time there and have my favorite rocker.  Eyner will also make the bench covers for the brick planters that divide the living room and dining room.  Estefanie and I walked home from Eyner’s place and stopped off at Palí for a few groceries.

Francisco and I made a list of the electrical stuff we need to buy at the Sinsa store (owned by Ace Hardware) in Managua.  Sofia and I had dinner from the new comedor (tiny restaurant) 2 doors down.  It was yummy!  I visited with Maritza a little before bed.  James and Sofia cleaned up the weeds and trash along my part of the sidewalk in front of the house.  A very productive day.

On Wednesday, I visited my friend Tamara a few doors down.  I love having neighbors!!  She was getting ready to leave for Managua for the day and her driver is my current head worker, so Memo will be working alone today.  While working on the house repairs, we discovered a hive of bees in the tree that grows in my main garden area.  The gardens are inside the houses.  We made some calls and it seems that the normal thing to do is to call the fire department.  Kind of like calling them for a cat up in a tree.  Ha  Anyway, the firemen said that would be here about dusk and for me to buy 5 pounds of laundry detergent and have 200 córdabas ready.  (about $8 US).  My friend Jalisa came over for us to order pizza for dinner.  Then the firemen came with their shiny new truck.  They put the laundry soap in the water tank of the truck and waited for it to dissolve.  They had us girls go to the bedrooms and close all of the (louvered glass) windows and shut the doors.  Oh, and we had to keep the lights off so the bees would think it was time for sleep.  Then one of the guys put on protective clothing and got a ladder.  They pulled the big fire hose in through the front door.  Then they blasted the bees with the soapy water from the hose.  I watched from the closed window of the office.  It was dark, but I could see a little bit of what was going on.  After blasting all the water out of the tank, they then climbed the ladder and sprayed the tree with insect repellant.  The ground had lots of white foam and soaked bees.  Since I’m North American, I was charged 300 córdabas ($12) instead of the 200.  But it was worth it to me!  About the time they left, our pizza arrived and we just acted like it was life as normal.  One thing I forgot to do, was tell the neighbor, whose garden is on the other side of my wall, and therefore open to the sky, that we were blasting soapy water.  They were shocked at first, especially to have this white stuff and bees coming over the wall.  But they understood and weren’t mad.  Thank goodness!  They also happen to be the landlord!!  Lol

On Thursday, I got to ride along to Managua while Tamara had to make a visit to the American Embassy.  After dropping her off, Francisco and I headed to the nearest Sinsa store.  It took a couple of hours, 3 shopping carts, 2 hand baskets and 2 boxes to get all we needed.  But we are going to be changing 19 light fixtures and running some new outlets.  I also found 2 floor lamps and a perfect lamp for my bedroom.  These things are expensive here, but I was very excited to get them.  The floor lamps will be great to use in the living-room/class-room.  I can’t wait to get all of that done.  After my shopping and Tamara’s visit to the Embassy, we had Tip Top Chicken for lunch and then headed back to León.  It was a very long day and sooooo hot.  But we got a lot done!

Friday was a day of errands and talking with people.  Maritza and I ate dinner out at a restaurant named Porky’s.  It’s a pretty nice place for here and they had good food.  They have Cuban dishes, too.  Since Maritz is Cuban, she liked that.  We walked home and enjoyed the coolness (70s) of the evening. 

Saturday morning, Maritza picked up a few mattresses that I had ordered for the spare beds.  Sofia and I ran errands and got some groceries.  We had lunch at Burger King and then headed home.  I worked on my personal Bible Study and then went to bed early.


It was a good week.  A lot of work is being done on the house.  Mostly repairs and prep for the painting.  It’s costly, but it’s great to get it done.  I can’t wait!  God has blessed me with this ministry and this house.  I’m ready to rock and roll with classes and all the other ways that He is going to use this place.  I’m very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment