Sunday, March 16, 2014

February 25-28, 2014

Many days are spent in personal Bible study, preparing for Bible study classes, running errands (usually on foot) and buying items for the house.  Since many stores just carry a few items (unlike Walmart back in the states) it takes multiple trips to get the things we need.  As I look back over my day planner, I see entries for each stop that I make.  This helps me to remember what happens, but it also helps me to keep track of those times that I spend a little money here and a little money there for the things that I don’t get receipts for (like stuff at the market, food off the street, taxi, fresh tortillas and such from individuals).  I would never be able to remember all the happenings of the day without writing them down in my trusty book!

I love walking, but running errands in this heat is very tiring.  I usually lie down for an hour or so in the very hottest part of the day and read or nap a little.  March and April are the hottest, driest and dustiest months of the year, so getting to spend 4 weeks in the states during half of April and first of May will be nice. 

God has allowed so much to get done in these weeks back in Nica that it seems like I’ve been here for months.  It has been amazing to see Him at work.  Classes have started, the house is starting to get put together as I receive money for furniture, household items, etc.  Even though I would love to have it all done, I enjoy the process of seeing it come together piece by piece.  It reminds me of how God changes our lives piece by piece and is always improving us. 

Sometimes it’s crazy trying to handle business in the states via internet from here.  I had the hardest time all month trying to get my PO Box in Rogers paid for via computer.  After sending a friend (in between ice storms in AR) to the PO to ask about it, they said that I’m paid for another year and not to worry about what the computer says.  Ok…  we’ll see!

I had quite the experience one day as I was picking up some used furniture from a store.  I needed to borrow a vehicle.  I preferred to have someone else drive, but I was thankful for the loan of my friend’s ministry truck.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t used to the length of the truck and I ended up catching the front end of a parked car with a little knob that stuck out on the side of the truck near the rear.  I pulled the whole front end off of the car!  Oh my goodness!  I couldn’t believe it!  My first thought was that I was going to a Nica jail!  Of course, we drew a crowd.  It’s a big deal to see a woman driving, especially a truck, and being North American can always draw a crowd.  I called a friend of mine who knows a lot about cars and drives a taxi, thinking he could come to my rescue.  He was busy, but his wife, also my friend and bi-lingual helped me out a little.  (during this time, I went ahead and had someone load my furniture into the truck – I wasn’t going to have to make this same trip twice!!)  The owner of the car finally came and I was so thankful that he was nice and not upset.  He spoke great English because he had lived in the US and drove a truck for 20 years.  He said he understands how accidents can happen.  He had hit a horse cart at night with his truck just a few weeks ago.  He made sure that I wasn’t upset and assured me that we could take care of things easy and cheap.  He just wanted the car fixed and able to drive, since his truck was in the shop after hitting the horse.  He said he would prefer taking the car to his friend and I trusted him.  I had a peace about the whole situation.  It could have been horrible, but God was watching out for me on this one.  I followed him over to the car shop (which is an open space in a big empty lot).  He trusted me to just follow him.  But I made him take my name and number before we left the street.  Of course, since we didn’t yell at each other, the crowd had dissipated.  We tied the front end of the car back on to the frame and headed off.  After chatting with his friend (he told him to be good to me because I am a missionary), the cost of repairs was decided to be 3500 cordobas (about $137.00 US).  I was glad that it was so cheap (in my North American eyes) and gladly paid the guy.  I had to take my new friend home and he insisted on driving the truck to his house and then I drove home.  I realized that I didn’t know his name.  He wrote it down for me along with his phone number.  He asked me to pray for his mother, who is in her 80s and has cancer.  Also, he asked for prayer for he and his wife for their marriage.  I’m going to give him a call in a week or so to see how everyone is doing.  I think it was a divine appointment and I’m glad that I got to meet Gonzalo, even if it cost me money to do so.  I got the truck back to my friend and after unloading my furniture, they loaded up and took off for their ministry time in the country.  What a crazy day!


Through every day and every situation, I am thankful that my God is in control.  I pray that I keep my mind and heart open so that I can experience all that He has planned for me and that I don’t mess up His plans too much!  Love Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment