Wednesday, February 5, 2014

January 27-31, 2014

Monday started off with a trip to Maxi Palí grocery store. It’s like a mini-Walmart (and I mean mini). But they have some stuff that can’t be found in the closer stores. Craig (another person at the Guest house) went with Tamara and I, and enjoyed seeing more of León. We ran into Lesly and Danilo from VOH. It was good to see them and get a hug.

Tamara and I then went to visit Carmen and Luis and baby Annabella, who was 2 days old. She is soooo cute! Then Tamara and I treated ourselves to a good lunch. I love the pita rolls at Carnivoro and since they are hard to hold to eat, I just unrolled the giant fresh pita bread and ate the meat and veggies inside with a fork. Sooo good!

After lunch, I got to chat with Maria Danelia, my new landlord. I had been praying for our negotiations and she was thinking it over. God gave me a peace about knowing that this was the house that He has chosen for me and that the negotiation process was something He wanted to happen for a purpose. To my delight, Danelia agreed that the original $400 per month rent was acceptable and is promising it to me for 2 years! That was better than the negotiation started off with! Thank you Lord! Danelia and I are on friendly terms and I think God will work through this relationship in the future. So thankful for His hand in it all. I also got the chance to buy 4 plastic tables and 20 plastic chairs for just a bit over what 3 new tables would have cost me. I was thrilled to be able to give the money to Danelia as an extension of our business relationship. Now, I just need to really clean up these tables and chairs so that they will be ready for classes to start mid-month!

Monday evening, the new group of students for English Bible Study Group came again and we talked a lot and shared some devotions. It’s good for them to get used to the way I speak. They asked if I always speak slowly and clearly like in class. No… but it’s important for them to get used to me and then I’ll talk faster. Lol They love it. I have gotten messages from students from last year asking when we will start classes again. They are so anxious! I am, too! Just a few more weeks until I move into Living Grace House. Then we can fill the place with students!

I had some issues with my iPhone. I keep it going with unlimited International calling and data. It’s a bit pricey, but I can use it when there is no internet, so I feel more secure keeping it available. I have to say that the customer service person that helped me was wonderful and went out of her way to take care of everything for me. It was just a ‘settings’ issue, but she also asked me a lot of other questions to make sure that I was getting the best use from the phone. I was very blessed and pleased. Now, if they could just lower that monthly premium… ☺

On Tuesday, I walked around and bought some supplies. It’s not unusual to have to visit multiple stores catering to various needs. It reminds me of NYC a little bit. It takes more time than just whipping into Walmart, but you also get exercise, fresh air and get to see a lot of people.

Maureen (another renter at the Guest house) and I had lunch at one of my favorite places, Callejón. It’s only open for lunch and it’s really great Nica food. Such huge helpings and lots of veggies available! I went to the central market to buy some baby stuff and picked up some videos on the street. It was a good day of walking around. And I enjoyed a movie before bed.

On Wednesday, I did a lot computer stuff, including communication and ministry planning. I did get to make a visit to baby Annabelle again. What a cutie!

Thursday was filled with more computer stuff in the morning, lunch of quesillos and nacatamales with Maureen, wedding gift shopping and then back home.

Another missionary friend, named Jalisa, had invited me out to her place. I called my faithful friend Jorge to take me in his taxi. Jasila has a beautiful place for her ministry to Pastors, ministry personnel, retreat groups, etc. It is such a welcoming and calming place. A wonderful place to spend time with God. I enjoyed our visit. We brought her car back into town so that she could meet up with some visiting family arriving the next day. We went for some great tacos on the street. Tacos here are like giant taquitos. I got mine before the frying process, so they were more like a burrito, but they were soooooooooo good! Meat mixture inside a tortilla rolled up with crema and cabbage salad on top and some pico de gallo. Wow! Soooo good! I went to bed full and happy! I’ll remember that place! They are only open for dinner, so that will be a special treat.

On Friday, Tamara and I had planned to go to Managua for her to take care of some personal business. I wasn’t really looking forward to the road trip (I get car sick), so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that we were going to Chinandega instead. We went up there to a Sinsa store (owned by Ace Hardware) and I picked out some great tile to use as a border around the kitchen counter when I move to my new place. I also looked at paint colors. I’m chomping at the bit to get started on the house! I priced ceiling fans, too.

We drove all over Chinandega (we refuse to admit we got lost) and had some exciting times going round and round the rotunda (roundabout intersection). After giving up, we found a main road back south and ended up right where we were heading, to the La Colonia grocery store. And, of course, it was just a block or so from where we started! Lol I found lots of NA brands and treated myself to good groceries that I can’t get in León. We are excited to know that a La Colonia store is coming to León, but who knows when that will be completed! Anyway, after leaving the grocery store, we thought we would get smart and stop at the corner gas station for directions to the little mall. Guess what, the guy pointed to an orange building just the other side of the rotunda and said that’s it! He looked at us like we were a couple of crazy gringas. How right he was! We laughed and laughed and tackled the rotunda one more time. We had fun eating at the food court (only about 6 restaurants) and then shopped at a used clothing store and a little boutique. Then we had some coffee drinks and headed back to León. It was a good day out. I was thrilled to research the Sinsa store and dream of paint colors and tile.

Friday night, Maureen and I went to one of my favorite restaurants, Ya Voy, and we ran into a few of the VOH guys just back from the remote medical trip. It was nice to see some of them. I was trying to touch base with Mario, a friend from another ministry, to exchange something to ship back to the states for someone. We finally connected at Ya Voy restaurant. It was a happening place! Lol

Back at the Guest house, Laura and Maureen and I watched a movie on the computer using my little projector (a gift from a dear friend in the states). It worked wonderfully!

This ends January 2014. Even though I was only back for 2 weeks, it seems like it’s been much longer. (in a good way) God has opened so many doors and there have been so many little things to take care of and plan for. It feels like life as usual. I am truly blessed to be here and serve my awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment