Sunday, December 29, 2013

December 25-29, 2013 Christmas in Indiana

Christmas Day was fun. I spent some quiet time talking to Jesus before going downstairs to join Sandy and Terry. It was a sweet time.

Sandy was busy in the kitchen. She loves to cook and bake and has been busy the last few days baking and decorating about 5 different kinds of cookies, a Boston Crème Cake, cheesecake and other goodies. Today she is fixing home-made noodles, mashed potatoes, home canned green beans and frozen corn from their garden and home made yeast rolls. She baked a turkey and my niece baked a ham. I helped debone the turkey, peel 5 pounds of potatoes, prepare veggies and cheese and whatever else she needed me to do. My niece made her usual sugarfree strawberry dessert for my nephew who is diabetic. We also had fresh pineapple from my Mom and homemade fudge and peanut brittle from Terry’s sisters. It was a yummy celebration!

After eating, we opened presents and it was crazy. The kids really had a good time. They got so much stuff that I don’t think they know yet what all they received! The unwrapping didn’t take too long and the cleanup went pretty quickly, too. We had dessert after gift time.

My nephew Curtis had to take the kids to their other grandparents’ home, Mom and Gary needed to get home to rest and Stacey’s family went to Michigan for a few days. The left me and Sandy and Terry to enjoy a quiet evening and we all went to bed early! Hohoho. It was a nice day.

Thursday (the day after Christmas) started out with Sandy and I taking down all of her Christmas stuff. I un-decorated the tree and helped pack stuff in boxes and tubs. A couple of grandkids came over to spend a few days, so they helped Terry put all the tubs back up in the attic. Everything is spic and span and ready for the rest of winter.

On Friday, Sandy, Terry, 2 grandkids and I went to Louisville (about 1.5 hours away) to shop at a couple of malls to use Terry’s gift-cards. Terry figured that Sandy and I would want to shop a long time at the malls, so he packed snacks for the boys and after they made a quick trip through the mall, they waited in the car for us. We didn’t really have anything we wanted to shop for, so we made a quick trip of it ourselves. We had a good lunch at one of the King Fish restaurants in town. I hadn’t eaten there for many years. It used to be a special treat to drive there and eat at that restaurant. I enjoyed my blackened talapia/grilled salmon combo with carrots and baked potato. Yum.

We then went to another mall and as we were walking to the car to drive a couple of parking lots away to Bass Pro Shop, my great-nephew teased that he would just walk. I said I would walk with him. He didn’t think I really meant it, but found out quickly as I took the hands of him and his brother that we were indeed going to hoof it. It was a mild day temperature wise so we enjoyed the walk. (especially after that good lunch!) We ended up not buying a thing at Bass Pro Shop. But it was fun to walk around there again.

We made it home and the boys had fun playing and the adults enjoyed resting.

Saturday morning, Terry decided to keep the boys home with him to shoot the rifle and bow and arrow together. They spent some time out in the woods and also messing around in the new barn (aka Terry’s man cave). Sandy and I took advantage of a kid-free day and went to the outlet mall nearby. We shopped a bit and had lunch and then stopped by my aunt and uncle’s house for a few hours. Then we hit 2 grocery stores and headed back home. We were pleasantly tired. Beans in the crockpot and a pan of hot, fresh cornbread was dinner and it was good!

I was planning on going to church with Mom and Gary today, but I woke up with a bit of tummy trouble and went back to bed till mid-morning. With the grandkids around with various ailments, it’s a miracle that we haven’t all been down with sicknesses of various types. We’ve had a quiet day here at the house. Stacey and family visited a bit. The 2 grandsons are still present and had some time outside again this afternoon. Terry went hunting out in their woods and shot a deer with his crossbow. That created great interest in the boys. Poor Bambie’s mom… But they will enjoy the meat this winter.

I’ve been spending time reading and studying and pondering about the ministry that God is leading me to for 2014. There is so much to do to prepare and it can feel overwhelming, but I know that He has it all planned in HIS way and in HIS time – even the details that I need to capture in my mind to put on paper. I get excited thinking about it all. Tired, but excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment