Wednesday, December 25, 2013

December 18-19, 2013 Travel days to IN

I took my time finishing laundry and packing and cleaning my room. I think it took about 2 hours from the time that I woke up until I was ready to hit the road. Deanna didn’t want me to head out too early or tired. It was pretty calm. The weather was mild and by leaving town about 9am, the sun was not directly in my eyes as I traveled east.

I usually make this trip with the end in mind. It’s almost like it’s something to be conquered. And that makes me stressed about every mile and every stop, always worrying about wasting even a minute. But this time, I’m taking each mile and moment as it comes. I’m trying to live this same way… instead of fretting over the past and stressing over the future, I’m trying to live and enjoy in the present! It will take God’s help every moment of every day!

I enjoyed my drive. I am able to listen to Christian music stations all the way on my trip, but even the other stations were nice to listen to with their Christmas music going. I sang a lot and talked to God a lot. There was hardly any traffic at all, which is why I chose to travel on a Wednesday. Some stretches of road were completely empty! Many miles of road just had me and a few cars and some semis. No problems even at the exits to cities and towns. I was very blessed. I enjoyed a conversation with a couple of ladies at a rest stop in MO. I got some maps, too. I bet they have a fun job getting to talk to people from all over. Interesting…

Wednesday night I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Fairfield Heights IL, which is the first exit east of St Louis on Interstate 64. I have stayed there a few times in the past. I like it. This time I was still very full from my late lunch at Cracker Barrel. I had chicken and dumplings, mashed potatoes and a baked sweet potato (call the carb police!) and I was stuffed! Anyway, I was ready for walking after being in the car all day. So I drove through town a little bit to the Target store. I found some clearance shirts to take back to Nica with me. Score! I stopped by Wendy’s and got some food for later in my room.

It was getting really cold and windy, so I was glad to get back to my room and snuggle in. I made some check-in phone calls and got on the computer for a while. Then I watched some tv and read myself to sleep in the huge, comfy bed. It was a very nice evening.

I was up early and took my time getting ready to leave. It was still very cold outside as I packed my stuff back in the car. I had some of the free breakfast at the hotel and then started on my way east about 9am. I had missed all the bad work traffic and it was wonderful!

I find the stretch of Interstate 64 across Illinois very, very boring and there are very few exits for gas and food. My goal is always to just make it across IL and I’m happy. There was little traffic, so it was nice. I celebrated crossing the IN state line by singing what lyrics I can remember of ‘Back Home Again in Indiana’.

I stopped for lunch and gas in Santa Claus IN. Then it was on to New Albany IN, which is just north of Louisville KY (where the interstate heads). Once I maneuvered around the by-pass to get on I65, I was just an hour or so from my sisters. It was so nice to be driving this during the daylight. I hate driving at night. The traffic was heavy here, but moving pretty quickly. I made it to my sister’s house about 4:30 IN time. It was good to get there and get all my stuff inside. Thankfully, my brother-in-law arrived at the perfect time to carry my suitcases inside. I got cozy and enjoyed a chat with my sister.

I enjoyed my 2 day trip. I used to drive it all in one day, leaving before sunrise and getting there about sundown or after. Now, I’d rather treat myself to a night on the road and make it more enjoyable. Even though it turns into 2 days of driving and costs more in hotel and food, it’s worth it to me in my old age! Lol

So thankful for the time to spend with my family over the holidays. God blesses me in many ways and I’m so thankful. Let the reindeer games begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment