Sunday, January 27, 2013

January 15, -18, 2013

After the group left at 3:30am, I slept until 9:30am. I never do that here! I was needing it I guess and I felt very relaxed!

I got a lot of work done on the computer; communication with teams coming, rescheduling meetings, preparing for classes, etc.

I got a message from my niece to call my sister Sandy. My cousin, Kim had died. She was only 47 years old. She had been having a lot of trouble with blood clots for some time. She had been in and out of the hospital for pain. She was actually in the hospital at the time and the doctors wanted to amputate her leg. She didn’t want that. She ended up dying while there. My extended family is not real close, but I was sad to miss the funeral. Ever since my Dad died last year, I feel the need to be available to his side of the family, even though they are in Indiana and I live in Nica (and AR when in the states). I’m friends with a couple of cousins on facebook now. It’s interesting to think about relationships.

Charlie was out with the Medical team and called in their numbers (patients and salvations) each night. I kept busy with my regular work, which would be tedious to list, but keeps me busy and happy.

The Medical team saw a total of 234 patients and 64 salvations for the week. They were in a fairly remote area on the northwest coast of Nica. From the beach, they could see El Salvador and Honduras at the same time. They got to stay in a descent hotel at night and have great food. They worked long hours and blessed many people. They returned to the Team House on Thursday night.

I had went to visit my friend Kelly and get the video camera that I had left for the ministry. Jeremy had taken it home with him while I was in the states. It was nice to visit with Kelly, even though she was not feeling too great. The flu (head and chest kind) seems to be going around down here. I charged up the video camera and its extra battery so that the Rogers Medical team can take it on their trip next week.

On Friday, the Eastside Medical team had Fun Day. They went for some hot shaves and haircuts. A manly version of mani-pedis, I think. Then they went to town for some shopping and sightseeing.

I taught the English Bible Study Group class for the students who come on Friday morning instead of Monday nights. I love it!

I got to go with the Medical team to Suyapa for dinner. Many of them ordered lobster. The platters were full of 4-5 lobster tails. Looked good! I got my usual grilled fish filet and boiled potatoes and steamed veggies. I did splurge and get a shrimp coctail. Still, my meal only costs about $12. Not bad!

I said goodbye to the team in case I didn’t wake up when they leave at 3:30am. I spend more time on communication. A friend is helping me research a plan for jewelry making here for the women to make some money for groceries for their families. Also, a friend wanted an overview of our ministry and what I do here to share with some preschoolers in my home church.

I’m also corresponding with 2 ladies coming in Feb on a construction trip. The ladies will work with me doing VBS 4 days for the kids at Monte Horeb. I’m communicating with the 2 teams coming for Spring Break in March. There are 2 different teams of ladies coming to serve in October and we’re starting to get our plans together for that. So I have a lot of emails and messages coming and going. I try to be organized about it all. Sometimes I get things confused. That’s where my different colored folders and my to-lists come in handy. Haha

Anyway, the team did leave at 3:30am. I woke up just as they were driving out of our gate. I waved, but probably no one saw me. I promptly went back to sleep.

Having the Medical team here was great. I barely got to see them, since they were remote most of the time, but it was nice to get to meet new people and go to church with them. We are always blessed by teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment