Sunday, February 17, 2013

January 19-26, 2013

Saturday. An exciting day for me. I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time! The team from FBC Rogers AR (my home church) flies in today for their remote medical mission. My friend Glenda is coming with them and is going to stay with me at the team house and is going to help us with feeding center, women’s Bible study, English Bible study and other stuff. I can’t wait!!

Also, this is the morning that Jorge and I go to Managua early and pick out my new guitar. Woohoo!!! We went to 3 music stores until I found the perfect guitar for me. Jorge did some wheeling and dealing and I got everything I needed for the what was the original price of just the guitar. The nylon bag was the perfect thing for me, too, because it has a V embroidered on it! It was a random selection of bags and there was ‘my’ bag!!! I was so happy!!

After meeting up with Mike, German, the translators and drivers for the trip, we went to the airport and met up with the team. We all went to lunch in Tipitapa (which is outside of Managua and on the way to the remote site). I took quick videos on my iPhone of the team interviews to send to FBCR for use in their service. Then the remote team took off for Rio Blanco and Jorge, Glenda and I took off for PriceSmart (like Sam’s club) to stock up on some groceries for my room. We got back to the team house about 6pm and I ordered pizza for Alberto, Glenda and I for dinner. Glenda and I talked a bit and then we went to bed.

Sunday. I was not feeling well, so we stayed at the team house. We slept passed 9am, so we didn’t catch the live service on line for FBCR, but we both needed the sleep and rest. Glenda hung out with me as I organized my PriceSmart purchases and the stuff that she brought down for me. We had showers and naps and then had Tip Top Chicken delivered for us and Alberto. Glenda and I got in the pool for some exercise and chatting. I practiced my guitar and then we went to bed early.

I still felt pretty sick on Monday and Glenda gave me the Zpak that she had brought from the states. I was very thankful. We went to get copies made for the Women’s Bible Study class and then organized donated clothes for our VOH churches. The women from class loved having Glenda with us and I think she liked it, too. Lesbia brought me pretty clay plate that was decorated for my room. We had a great time with the English Bible Study students that night. One of the guys is married to a girl named Glenda, so that was a connection for them! Glenda also brought some bi-lingual New Testaments and the students each got one. It was a fun night of sharing!

Tuesday. I woke up sick and cranky! I tried to be sweet, but I felt so awful! Glenda and I rode with Pastor Bryan to deliver produce to the feeding Centers in San Jacinto, La Quimera and Monte Horeb. (after having to ride in the front seat all together for 2 days due to various items being in the back of the van, we all crowded back into the front and were almost back to town before we realized that we had emptied the back of the van and could have been riding in comfort for the last half hour! Lol)

We went to Augusto Sandino neighborhood to register the kids for the new feeding center. We got to help with the piñata and snacks after the kids’ info and pictures were taken. It was fun. This feeding center should start up in March. We are trusting God for the resources to make it happen and He is faithful!

I took care of some computer business in the afternoon and then Glenda and I went to Suyapa restaurant on the beach for an early dinner. It was very nice and relaxing. It has been wonder to have Glenda here to talk with. She has been ministering to me greatly. We swam a little more before retiring to our rooms. I worked on my January receipts for taxes, watched a video and practiced guitar. I was still sick, but feeling better.

Wednesday. I did some computer work and made some phone calls. I called Sherry in the states and passed the phone around so the workers could say hi. We’ve missed her down here!

Erika (our cook) loves to do pedicures and is learning new designs. I bring her polish and tools and such from the states so she can have a little side business. She loves to practice! Glenda and I got our toes painted and Mayela, who is a masseuse on the side, gave us both neck/should/back massages. I took a photo of Glenda getting the full treatment and posted how she was suffering for Jesus!

Jorge drove us and Lesly, Jaasiel and Mayela to town. I got a few things at La Unión grocery store and then treated everyone to Eskimo ice cream! We dropped everyone off at the home/bus terminal. Lesly and Jorge were last and I took over driving from there. Glenda and I stopped at Salmon, another grocery store, so that I could get my carrot/orange juice that I love. I did some more computer work, phone calls and laundry. Glenda and I talked a lot more and I can’t say enough what a blessing she has been for me! We had a nice evening and then retired for the night.

Thursday. I called my sister in the states to catch up and then met with Yanina for her make-up lesson for Women’s Bible study class (due to work, she has to miss Monday afternoons 2 x week, so we make it up on Thursday am.). I splurged for groceries so that we could have arroz aguado (one of my favorite meals) for lunch. We also got to have ice cream sundaes! In the afternoon I did a lot of communication/computer work. Glenda and I swam again and I watched a video before bed. It’s been fun and relaxing for us both.

Friday. I gave Glenda a tour of the sewing room and explained our handcrafts ministry project that we are trying to get on its feet. Bismarck came for the English Bible Study class. (the same lesson is taught on Monday nights and Friday mornings, so that the students can pick the one that fits their schedule for that week).

After lunch, Jorge drove Lesly, Bruno (their son), Glenda and me to Managua. We met up with the FBCR team at the hotel across from the airport. The team had been very remote and had lots of crazy stories to tell about the trip. After saying goodbye to the team and leaving them in luxury (Nica version) at the hotel for the night, German, Mike and Charlie joined us for the ride back to León. We stopped at McDonald’s for ice cream for Lesly and a happy meal for Bruno. I was treating the family. But Lesly was embarrassed because the bosses were with us and I found out later that she had only ordered a happy meal for Bruno and she and Jorge split a hamburger meal. She didn’t even get the ice cream! They went out and ate in the hot van. Crazy girl! Mike asked me “am I that mean that people would be afraid of me?” lol Anyway, we got back to León and everyone split up. Charlie and I went for Tip Top for dinner (there was nothing I could eat at McDonald’s). We had a nice visit and he prepared to leave at 3:30am for the airport.

It was a great week for me, with the exception of being sick part of it. I was so blessed to have Glenda with me and I was excited that she got to see 3 of our 4 churches and feeding centers, be a part of the registration of the 5th feeding center, set in on my classes and meet my special friends. She was a big hit with everyone. I’m praying her back down here in October with the Women’s Minsitry team!!

God is so good to us all. Allowing us His perspective on this world if we will only ask and be open to see it. His love is all around and we have only to reach out to feel it. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment