Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's been a while since I posted. In fact, it was the night before I left for my visit to Indiana. I've been back for 3 weeks now.

My flights to Indiana went through Chicago with a nice layover. I left the house at 5am (thank you Angela for the ride!) and I got to airport early. Upon check-in, I was told that my flight was going to be delayed. But the flight before it was being delayed, too, so they changed me to the earlier delayed flight. Therefore, I left 15 minutes earlier than planned. ok... I enjoyed my layover in Chicago and got to have a quick breakfast and spend time reading my Kindle (favorite Christmas present of all time). My flight to Louisville was going to be delayed, so I called my sister and niece and they said no problem, they were already in Louisville shopping. The flight was uneventful and relaxing, but by the time I got to baggage claim, I had been traveling the same amount of hours as if I had driven there. We had an early dinner and headed home. I was glad that their time is an hour earlier than AR, so I was ready to go to bed early!

My week was spent hanging out at Sandy's house with my two great-nephews, running errands, shopping, visiting family members, and of course, eating. The relationships in my family are pretty dysfunctional and I think I'm the only one who is actually speaking to everyone else. Of course, that can't happen at the same time, since not everyone is welcome in each other's house. I did get the chance to see everyone at least once.

I couldn't get internet hardly at all at my sister Sandy's house, where I was staying. She has dial up and it was iffy most of the time. Also, there were moments when I couldn't even get cell service. so I spent most of the 10 days dealing with cyber withdrawals! I had some work to get done, so I wrote my emails as word documents and then attached them to emails when I went to my niece's house one day. There was a lot of snow there, just like here in AR, so we were snowed in for a day or so. I was excited to get to visit Stacey's house and use her internet! :)

I had a lot of fun with my great-nephews. Colten is 1 and Conner is 4 1/2. I hadn't been there in three years, so Conner has grown up so much, and of course, I hadn't seen Colten before. I loved being with them. Conner is a wonderful big-cousin. He is more like a big-brother. He takes such good care of Colten and is a big help to my sister, who cares for Colten 5 days a week and Conner 3 afternoons a week. Plus all the times they spend the night!

Dad actually asked me about my work as a missionary in Nicaragua. I think that's the first time he has asked me a question about myself in years. I was glad to share with him. Only my brother-in-law, Rob, goes to church, and in fact, most don't want to hear anything religious. I'm used to being around believers and I guess I take it for granted to be able to have open conversations about God and His direction of my life.

Conner's half brother, Isaac, had a birthday while I was there and Sandy baked him a cake and had me decorate it. Suffice it to say that I'm not a cake decorator. But Sandy liked it and Isaac wasn't too picky, so it was fine. Sandy and I did a lot clearance shopping during the week and on Sunday, Terry (Sandy's husband) took us on a 3 hour drive to Florence KY, just south of Cincinnati OH to a great mall with unbelievable clearance prices. We took little highways and back roads. There was still snow everywhere and it was really pretty to drive along the river. We drove through a little, tiny town called Rabbit Hash. It was literally 2 stores on a corner and then some houses in the country. I did find it on googlemaps. How funny.

My flights home were both delayed a little, but I didn't mind. I like being able to sit by myself and read. I got to have a yummy dinner at Chili's Too in Dallas airport. We boarded late and once the door was shut, the Flight Attendant noticed that we were a passenger short. The problem was that he had his boarding pass scanned, but then didn't get on the plane. This is a big deal regarding security. They reopened the plane door, chatted with the pilots, chatted with the ticket agents, called out the passenger's name multiple times, etc. After 30 minutes, they found the passenger still in the airport, but I don't know where. He got on the plane and nothing else was said. We left the gate an hour late. It was good to land again in AR. We were only about 45 minutes late, but then the machinery that handles the baggage was messed up and there 3 plane loads of people waiting on their bags. I never knew that 3 plane loads of people were ever at XNA airport at the same time. LOL. I finally got my bags and headed outside to catch my ride home with my friend Donna. Even though it was not too bad traveling, it was good to get back.

I'm enjoying the Chronological Bible Study. I think it will give me a whole new perspective on the stories in the Bible. I've spent a lot of time in the last few days studying Spanish. I got out of the habit of daily study and I really need to keep it up. I'm so hungry to become fluent. My poor brain gets so tired sometimes, though.

I'm glad to be back home for a while (until March 15) and to get back into some kind of routine. I hope to get many things accomplished (work, Bible Study, Spanish,etc.) in the weeks when I'm in Rogers. My main desire to accomplish what God has planned for me. Even if I don't understand or it's not on my list. I pray that I will always listen for His voice and be obedient.

No comments:

Post a Comment