Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's been a very interesting week so far. Monday was great with a good staff meeting at church. I really enjoyed it. There is a fine feeling of unity among the staff. We missed Bro Wes, though, as he was on his trip to India and Dubai. A couple of the other guys were out, but for those of us who attended, it was nice and productive.

After taking care of the critters at the house and grabbing some dinner, I met with Noemi and Becca at the church to discuss the catering and decorating for the Marriage Conference the next Saturday for Cuerpo Vivo church. Everyone had good ideas and I think the meal will be lovely. After the meeting, Becca and I stopped at Lucy's Diner (a new little place) and had hot chocolate and shared a cinnamon role. We had a nice chat and decided that we need to do this more often, especially when we don't have to plan an event.

I loved the Women's Bible Study on Tuesday morning. It was week 6 and I finally got the chance to actually attend! Between 3 weeks of traveling and 2 weeks of bad weather, I had to miss the first 5 classes. It's a great study. We're going through the Bible chronologically through out the year. God is speaking to me on so many levels through this study. Just little things in each day's reading. Loving it!! Lisa is a wonderful teacher and the large group lecture that she does is very good. Our small group discussion is very interesting and enlightening and encouraging. I can't wait for the next class!

With the threat of a bad winter storm approaching, I was able to fit in 3 meetings on Tuesday. Very productive day! I love those! I was trying to decide if I needed anything more from Walmart or anywhere else before getting snowed in, but I decided I was in good shape here at home.

The weathermen were predicting 2-10" of snow. Quite a range. We ended up having 23" in our front yard and an official total of 22" in Rogers. It was a state record for snowfall. The weather guy said that our yearly average is 6.3". It was crazy! The snow was beautiful though. It was light and fluffy. I guess that's why it stacked up so high. I had to dig a path to the yard for Jet to be able to potty. I even uncovered his favorite bush in the front. He ended up pushing through the snow to the front of the neighbor's house and went on their driveway. The snow was up to Jet's head. It was so funny to watch him. Later in the day I shoveled a path to walk to the road. I didn't try to tackle the driveway. I won't drive Deanna's van until the snow is gone anyway. The next night after the record-breaking snowfall, we had record-breaking cold temps. Rogers was -6 over night. Bentonville (next town north) was at -15. It was unbelievable. Thankfully, we didn't have any wind or the windchill would have been brutal. We will be having a few more nights of cold weather and then by next week we'll be in the 60's. Crazy!

I've been working away inside, same as usual. I'm very blessed to be able to work from home. I think Jet likes to have me here since Deanna is gone for a few weeks. I'm trying not to spoil him too much.

Last night I was awakened by a crash and then the sound of movement. At first, I thought someone had broken into the house. Then I thought more about it and determined that no robber in their right mind would think that they could get away in this snow and on these roads. So I went to investigate and found that the cat was having a little party all by herself. I finally went back to sleep (after reading a while to calm down) and was a little tired this morning. Of course, the cat slept off her party hangover. She slept all day today, so she will probably be prowling around again tonight. She and I aren't exactly buddies (I'm allergic to her) but we tolerate each other most of the time. She needs to be reminded that I'm the only thing between her and starvation while Deanna's gone. hmmm

We're having another team meeting this Sunday for the Nicaragua Spring Break trip. We'll be there in about 6 weeks. Actually, I'll be there in about 5 weeks. I can't wait to get there. Especially if it keeps snowing here! Seriously, I want for our team to feel connected to the people in Nica and to be prepared to open up to them and to prepare their hearts to let God flow through them.

Bro Wes and Mike Shively are traveling to India and Dubai to work with some of our missionaries these next 2 weeks. They have already witnessed and been a part of many wonderful things that God has doing there. I know that Wes and Mike are being blessed beyond words.

I'm helping to organize a small team to Dubai in April. I won't be going this time, unless God provides a plane ticket for me, but I'm glad to be helpful in getting things in place for the others going. I hope to be able to go to Dubai later in the year, maybe early fall.

I haven't worked on Spanish studies for a couple of days. I hope to be more caught up on work tomorrow so that I can spend a good chunk of the day on Spanish.

I just talked to Deanna on the phone. She's glad to be missing the cold and snow. It's cool in Las Vegas, but still lovely. Today is the 4th anniversary of her husband, Doug's, homecoming to heaven. Elaine (her daughter) wrote a beautiful note on her blog. I wanted Deanna to know that I was thinking about her. We discussed Jet and the cat and their antics. I'm very blessed to be welcomed to live here with her. She was thanking me on the phone the other day for living here and taking care of the house and critters for her. It gives her peace of mind. God has made it a good exchange for us.

Lots of things to be thankful for. Way too many to remember or count, but I should try my hardest to do that and to thank my God for everything. He's so good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment