Monday, April 5, 2010

Nicaraga Trip - March 27, 2010

Day 8 Saturday

Travel Day

Up at 2:30am to load luggage into vans. Left the Team house at 3am. Picked up John in Leon and then off to the airport another hour away. I think everyone caught a few zzzs on the way to the airport.

We said goodbye to John and got checked in and waited for our flight. Upon checking in, 4 of us found out that our seats on the Houston to XNA flight were not confirmed. The flight was overbooked, so we were going to have a nice challenge of securing everyone’s return to Rogers.

The flight was fine and I caught another little nap. We had a breakfast on the plane of a burrito with eggs and beans, fruit and muffin. It was tasty, but I think everyone else was pretty much tired of beans for breakfast.

When we got to Houston, we checked on our flights. We were told that nothing could be decided on the four of us until they gate keepers came on duty at 2:30pm. Everyone took off for lunch in various places. And then we hooked up together and spent time journaling, coloring, making phone calls, following sports scores, etc.

A wonderful Continental agent helped me out with alternatives for the four of us who might not have seats on the plane. We also checked with other airlines, and as with the first travel day, everyone was overbooked for the spring break weekend. The best alternative was that the airline would put us up in a hotel, provide meals and transportation to the airport and fly us into Tulsa the next morning. We were okay with this and kind of looked forward to an overnighter together. The best case scenario was to grab seats from people who were missing our flight. It kind of felt like we were wishing them disappointment so we could have their seats. But we left it up to God to work out and were happy either way. We were still antsy just waiting to see which way it was going to go. At the very last minute, we actually made our original flight due to an international connecting flight being hung up in customs. So, we made it home just fine.

Parents were glad to see kids and I think the kids were glad to see their parents. The Caseys took me home with a side trip to Chick-Fil-A, which Johanna was missing terribly. We had a nice chat and then it was time for me to see Deanna and Jet. Deanna welcomed me with a hug and Jet snubbed me a little. I think he was miffed that I was gone a whole week. He was more attentive later in the evening and was my usual buddy from then on. Deanna took one look at my ankles and chained me to the recliner and waited on me hand and foot for the night. I slept very well in my own bed and dreamed of everything I experienced in Nic that week. I’m so ready to go back and back and back… God has blessed me beyond measure. Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment