Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Well, I haven’t posted in 10 days. Not like me, but it’s been busy and I’ve just let time get away from me.

Since I do a lot of the same things every day, I can condense a lot of the last 10 days together.

Every Mon-Fri morning, I take food to the Monte Horeb Feeding Center for the ladies to cook. I go back at 12:30p to pick up the box and any food items that need to be brought back and stored here. In between those two trips, Mayela and I visit another Feeding Center, either La Quimera or Noah’s Ark to get pics and info about the kids. Some mornings we stay at the Mission House to work on the Feeding Center documents on the computer.

Wednesday afternoons I teach Women’s Bible Study at La Quimera church, Thursday afternoons I teach Sewing Class here for the Rose of Sharon ladies, Friday afternoons I was teaching Women’s Bible Study at Rose of Sharon Church. Estefanie translates for me for the Women’s Bible Studies and Mayela translates for me for the Sewing Classes.

Monday nights, Mary and I babysit Manuel here at the Mission House so that Sherry and Mike can have some quality time together. We picked Monday nights because it’s the one afternoon/evening that Mary and I both have as ‘free time’. Mary teaches Sewing Class on Tuesday afternoons and Bible Study on Wednesday afternoons.

So you can see that we are constantly coming and going. That doesn’t even include the Hulsey’s schedule or German, Jeremy, Lesly, Mayela, Jaasiel and Jorge! We’re always trying to keep up with vehicles, too.

Last week, Mayela and I visited a Feeding Center in El Tanque. This community is off the highway about 1.5 miles. The problem we had finding it came about because the road sign pointing the way to the turn off road was missing. We ended up stopping and asking someone, who sent us back the way we came. When we couldn’t find the landmark they talked about, we stopped and asked some police at a checkpoint. They didn’t have any idea where the community was. Then we stopped and asked another person and he pointed to a road about .1 of a mile back the way we came and said ‘turn at the cow’. Haha. We got the lady pastor on the phone and she talked us through the turns the rest of the way to the feeding center, which is at someone’s house for now. It was a good morning of visiting with the volunteers and the kids. We think we can find the turnoff again, even though I’m sure that the cow has moved! Haha

One morning, when I was running errands with Lesly, I asked about the Post Office, since they don’t deliver mail here. She took me there and we talked to 2 ladies who work there. You can send mail to the states for a fee and it will take about 17 days to get there. You can have mail sent here from the states for a fee and it takes about 3 weeks. Of course, your package/envelope will be opened when you pick it up at the post office. It’s not a secure or sure way of doing things, but it’s open!

One evening, the Speigels, another missionary family here in León, came by the Mission House so that I could give them some things that I brought from the states. It’s only taken us 2 months to touch base. Our schedules are crazy. It was nice to see them for a few minutes. We had planned to have dinner, but I was too wiped out from my day and one of their kids was a little sick. We promised to get together sometime in June.

Mary and I are making aprons for all of the volunteer cooks at the feeding centers. It’s been fun to mass produce them. It seems like I mass produce most everything I make anymore. It will be fun to give them out to the ladies.

We had our last Bible Study class at Rose of Sharon Church last Friday. The ladies threw me a party with a piñata. They had been planning on this party before I left in Dec but didn’t have the money. Then they planned it for my return in Feb but didn’t have the money then either. The timing worked out great to have it at the end of our session. Those ladies are great and I will miss them on Fridays. I still get to see quite a few of them for Sewing class on Thursdays, though.

Mary and I have went on small shopping trips occasionally. Fabric and sewing supplies, sandals, ice cream, used clothes, video store… We get around okay.

Feeding Centers, Bible Studies and Construction keep us pretty busy on a weekly basis. Planning for the teams and crusades for this summer keeps Mike, German and Jeremy hopping. And then there are the weeks when the teams are here. That’s busy!

We’re so thankful for all that God allows us to do here. It’s such a blessing to live here and share Jesus and as many blessings as we can.

I’m trying to be more disciplined in my eating, workouts and all around health decisions. It’s very hard, but I have to get my strength from God. I sure can’t do it by myself! I’m so glad that He cares about every little detail about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment