Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday, November 21, 2009

What a great week! It has flown by, but it has been full of good things. God has been so gracious. He takes such good care of me and all His children.

I started spending more time at the church on Wednesday and it really wore me out. I forgot how quickly your energy can go away after surgery. But everyday it gets better. Unfortunately, I didn't think I could have enough energy to make it through these days before Thanksgiving and still take care of Gus, the puppy. So, I had to beg off of that opportunity and let Cathy go to the plan B that she had in place. I'll miss sitting with Gus and I hope to get the chance again sometime soon. I just love spoiling people's pets! heehee

I'm spending all day at the church everyday for a while so that I can help with the phone calls for the Thanksgiving meals. I'll do this through Wednesday. The only draw back is that I don't get nearly as much done on the computer as when I work from home. And I'm up to my eyeballs with coat drive, Christmas Angel Tree and Christmas Food Baskets right now, along with the Thanksgiving plans. It will all come together, but I'm dreaming about turkeys wearing santa hats!

I can't wait for Thanksgiving day. It's always so fun to see everyone working together that morning and see hundreds of people getting those meals to recipients. To anyone who hasn't been a part of it, you are very much welcome to participate!

I usually stress over everything going as close to perfect as possible, but I really feel a peace about it all this year. The more that God allows me to serve in different ways and in various places, the more mellow I get about letting Him be in charge and show Himself in the 'small stuff'.

God has allowed me to be a part of blessing some special people this week. I love how He puts the pieces together in His way. All we have to do is be aware of Him and be open to obeying what He directs. The less we worry about our own selves and our 'stuff' the more we can see the needs of others. 17 families came to the Food Pantry yesterday. It was great to have more volunteers, too. It just about wiped out the food we had on hand. It feels good to know so many were helped just a little bit this week. The McGimpseys do a great job with running the Food Pantry and they'll have more food bought and stocked for next week. The congregation has been faithful in bringing food in. I wish they could all see how the blessings are flowing out from their donations. It's a great ministry and much needed.

Today I went to Lifeway Christian store for some really good bargains on Christmas presents. I have such a limited budget, but I want to give gifts to family, too. I'm so thankful for the really good deals I found today.

Then I went to Walmart and spent another hour and a half picking up some groceries and just looking around the store. I am a fan of the clearance aisles and I found some good gifts there, too. One of the nice treats I got at Walmart today was cozy slipper socks for me and Deanna. We'll have happy toes now!! I was excited to find sweet potatoes on sale for .25 per pound. (it doesn't take much to thrill me) I bought 10 pounds! :) Deanna and I both love them fixed just about anyway you can imagine, so we'll enjoy this bargain for a few weeks!

Deanna and I have been thinking of all of the ways that we will use the left over turkey. We have some tasty recipes in mind. We're even planning some turkey and spinach alfredo. yum!

Speaking of food, the roasted potatoes and squash that we are having for dinner is ready. Gotta go! (God is soooo good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment