Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday, September 20, 2010

Time has flown by. I haven't had much luck with internet service at the house and I have been really busy this past few weeks running errands to prepare for the block party, so I haven't had much time to sit at the church office and get on the net.

The Neighborhood Block Party went really well. We had a good turn out and lots of food and fun. I made a challenge for myself to use as much of the 'left over' craft supplies from previous years' of VBS that were stashed around the old building. There were hundreds of empty babyfood jars. I came up with 2 crafts and 1 game that involved using the jars. We only have about 20 jars left after the party, so I consider that a success!

I was running all over town, especially in the evenings the week before the party, to get food, prizes, supplies, etc. I had a budget and came in at only 75% (that includes a donation from Sam's Club...which is another funny long story). I love coming in under budget. We had 2 inflatables for the kids to jump in, simple games of ping-pong toss into babyfood jars willed with candy, ring toss, ball toss, decorate-your-own-cookies, face painting, a crafts station with 8 different projects the guests could do. A couple of sweet teenagers from FBCR played guitar and sang. It was lovely. We served hot dogs, chips, popcorn, nachos, sno-cones and drinks. And of course, there was candy given out! There was a drawing for prizes from the Christian bookstore. People could come and visit and some members of Cuerpo Vivo and FBCR talked with the guests and invited them to church. We met about 30 new households and 4 families are interested in coming to worship with us at Cuerpo Vivo. 2 of the families did come this Sunday! I was thankful for all of the volunteers who came to help serve. I love working with people who have a heart to reach others in honor of Jesus.

This past Sunday was the celebration for the 7 year anniversary of Cuerpo Vivo church. We had a special service and then a fantastic meal prepared by Cesar, a church member who is a chef at Abuelos restaraunt. Oh man! Can he cook! It was a fun time of food and fellowship. I was exhausted when I got home about 3:30pm, especially after the long day (week) working on the Block Party, but I was so filled with blessing I was so happy!

Deanna is still in Las Vegas helping to take care of her daughter who had surgery this past week. Elaine is home and healing from the surgery, which went well and had good results. Deanna has been gone 2 weeks now and I miss her. I know the cat and dog do, too. Hopefully, she will be back in a couple more weeks.

Speaking of the cat, she likes to go in the garage and hang out sometimes. She won't usually come in when I ask her to and I leave her out there for a while. Well, last night, I forgot to let her back in. She's comfy out there and it's not too hot for her at night, so she didn't suffer, well, maybe her dignity a little... This morning when I let her in the utility room, she marched right past her litterbox, food bowl, water bowl and went in the living room...spouting off what I'm sure by the tone of her voice were unpleasant phrases in cat language. We'll see if she is speaking to me tonight. I gave her a fresh new litterbox before I left for work this morning, so maybe that will win me some brownie points.

I was cleaning out the airfilter on the pump for the outdoor fish pond and got it put back together and was very pleased with myself. I don't like to touch fish, so I used a long meat fork thing to get a part of the pump pulled out of the water. If the neighbors saw me, they probably thought I was going spear fishing! Anyway, after getting the fish all settled in I started watering plants. Then I noticed that the pump was making a funny sound. I looked over and the pump had fallen sideways and pumped all the water out of the pond! The fish were in about 1" of water and had to lay on their sides. I started refilling the pond with a pitcher and the plant watering can. It took over half an hour of running back and forth with the dog and cat 'helping' me with each trip. The fish survived. I'm glad I didn't have to do fish cpr! Hopefully, when I get back home tonight, the dog will be happy, the cat will be speaking to me and the fish will still be alive. :)

I'm waiting to hear my final dates for serving in Nicaragua this fall. I know that I will get to go back and forth a lot in the future and eventually be more permanent down there. It's all in God's timing and I'm not stressed about the dates at all. When I'm here in Rogers, I get to work with Cuerpo Vivo church and FBCR local missions, so I have the best of both worlds. Make that 3 worlds, I also might get to travel to Dubai to work a while with the Caubbles and Phillips! I'm so blessed to get to serve the Lord fulltime. I can't imagine my life any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment