Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday, July 9, 2010

It's Friday night and I'm getting ready to go to sleep in my own bed for the last time in 4 weeks. I leave for Nicaragua tomorrow. woohoo!!! I can't believe that the time is finally here. I can't wait to get there. I'll leave NWA at noon tomorrow and arrive in Managua a little after 8pm their time (7pm NWA time). By the time we get to the team house it will be about 11pm. It will be a long day, but I don't have to get up too early and I have enough of a layover in Houston to help with a late arrival and to allow for the International flight stuff and get a nice late lunch/early dinner before getting on the plane for Managua.

We had a team meeting last night with Mike and Sherry Husley (Directors of Voice of Hope Ministries), the 3 girls coming down for 2 weeks as interns and their parents. One of the girls, Kaylee, was on the March trip, so she knows what to expect on the flights and when they arrive at the airport in Managua. I'll be there to welcome them to Nic. I can't wait to see their beautiful faces!

We were all so excited talking about the ministry there and everything we will get to do with teams and also when it's just us. It's going to be a full and fun time of service. The parents decided that they want to go, too, since we were so excited. It's just a great ministry there and really humbling and a blessing to us to be able to be a part of it.

Deanna said my face was glowing when I got home from the meeting. I think the Holy Spirit was touching us all.

I finally got my 2 suitcases packed and my carryon bag and my personal item (large backpack) ready. It took a lot of squishing and swapping, but I finally got the items distributed appropriately. I'm taking enough clothes for about 2 weeks and I'll wash them while there. I've also got a suitcase mostly filled with giveaway stuff and some healthy snacks for me.

I'm taking my camera as well as my little video camera since I'm going to be there so long. I hope to record some good views of the ministry so that I can share with people back home. I'm not very good at it, but I will do my best to hold the camera steady!

I will not be able to email much, but Facebook seems to update well on my phone while in Nic. I won't be blogging until I get back. I'll journal with an old fashioned pen and paper, then spend hours typing it all onto my blog after I return. I'm looking forward to keeping a nice journal while there. So much happens every day, that it is sometimes hard to remember it all if you don't stop a few times during the day to jot stuff down.

I'm ready to battle those pesky mosquitoes. We have to use 100% deet, so I'm sure my nose will be numb from smelling it for 6 weeks. We have some other tricks up our sleeves, so we'll see what suggestions for mosquito repellant really work.

I was tired from all the last minute stuff today, and still had more to do, so I didn't want to cook anything for dinner. I decided to just open up a can of something in the pantry. I was half through my 'dinner' and was thinking that this is my last 'home cooked' dinner before eating beans and rice 3 times a day for 6 weeks, when I realized I was eating BEANS out of the can for dinner! How ironic! I ended up having to run back to Walmart for something, so I picked up a rotisserie chicken and also boiled some ears of corn, so I did get to have some variety tonight after all.

I can't wait to get down there and work with Miss Mary and the weekly teams. I'll be there almost a week when the 3 girls from here arrive. We'll work together for 2 weeks and then they will return home. After that, another team will come down for a week.

I ask that my friends cover us in prayer as we work with the Nica people. Pray for health and safety, strength and energy, boldness and readiness to share, openness to hear the Good News, and for God to be glorified no matter what comes our way.

I was blessed to have a chance to be prayed over twice by the family at Cuerpo Vivo church. I will miss them very much. I hope they will be able to tell a difference in my Spanish when I get back.

I was blessed to be treated to lunch on Wednesday by the McGimpseys. It was fun to catch up and the food was fantastic (Olive Garden). Thursday, my friend Elizabeth cooked lunch for me. She was rolling out the fresh tortillas when I walked in the door. Oh man, was that food good! We sat and chatted for an hour in Spanish. She is very encouraging with my Spanish practicing. I really enjoyed my time with her. She is a very special lady.

Well, time for me to sign off and head to bed. It will be a while before I blog again. If you're on Facebook, 'friend' me and follow the quick posts from Nic.

Thank you for your prayers. I can't wait to share with you all that God does and allows us to see over the next 6 weeks in Nic.

Dios te bendigas

No comments:

Post a Comment