Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday, July 5, 2010

What a relaxing day! I woke up when I felt like it, sat outside with Jet (the dog) in the beautiful morning air, sorted clothes to start packing for Nic, ran to the store for some groceries, visited with Miss Juanita a couple of times (fell asleep in her comfy sun room) and now back home for a quiet evening with Deanna.

Yesterday was nice at church. I love seeing my FBCR family in the halls between services. While worshipping with Cuerpo Vivo, I was reminded of how much I feel a part of that church family. I will miss them so much while I'm in Nic, but I know they will welcome me back with open arms and the customary kisses on the cheek. (I love that culture) They prayed over me and commissioned me as a missionary to Nic for these next 6 weeks. There are a couple of families from our congregation who are from Nic, and it's special to them to know that someone is going to be loving on the people of their country. I can't wait to get back to serve with Cuerpo Vivo.

Last night I stayed home with Jet, who is terrified of fireworks. I was finishing up a couple of summer dresses for Nic, and while in my chair with my hands busy with needle and thread, I was petting Jet with my foot. It was quite funny. Jet and I share an aversion to the loud noises of fireworks. Although, I've never went so far as to dig my way out of the yard like he did yesterday. It was so crazy to see that he expended that much energy, after all, he lays down to eat! I hope I was a comfort to him. He's such a good boy.

I'm sooooo looking forward to serving in Nic. Sometimes it feels a little strange to think I'll be gone for 6 weeks, but I know it will fly by while I'm there. A lot will have changed here when I get back on the 21st of August. FBCR will be meeting for worship in the new building on Bellview Rd. Cuerpo Vivo will be meeting in the sanctuary and nursery wing of the Olive St building. Kids will be back in school. It will be time to gear up for planning the fall missions opportunities. I feel like God is putting my life on fast-forward for 2 months.

I've noticed how God is preparing my mind and heart for these next weeks. I feel I'm getting in "Nic mode". Preparing for no-frills living, basic concerns, shutting out the prosperous world and focusing on ministering to the most needy people. The culture is lacking compared to US standards, but the relationships take on more importance. Miss Mary (who works with Voice of Hope in Nic) told me that she likes the changes that come over her when serving in Nic. It reminds me of the answer I finally came up with (after much prayer) when people asked what I would miss most about leaving NYC - I realized I would miss the "me" that God allowed my life to become while on the 'misson field'. I know I will feel that again when in Nic. It's basic, minus creature comforts, but full of pure love coming from God thru us to the people who live there. I can't wait.

This coming week will be chock-full of meetings and errands to tie up loose ends for the ministries here and with prep for the trip. I think I've got my clothes figured out, gifts for the Nic people ready to pack, and I think it will all fit in the suitcases! I still need to buy 2 months of my prescriptions, stock up on vitamins & supplements to make up for the limited diet, some special food items to try to be liver-healthy, a few toiletries and bug repellent, etc. I'm stretching my budget tight this month, but I know that God will provide. He always does.

There are a few flies in the house that seem to have taken on the mission of preparing me for bugs flying around my face in Nic. ha It reminds me of 10 years ago when I went to Honduras on a mission trip. I don't like bugs much and I prayed that God would help me to ignore them and not be bothered by them while serving in Honduras that week. The prayer worked really well and I didn't freak out even when a lizard fell on my face while sleeping one night. The week after I got back home, I was walking to church and jumped when a bug landed on my shirt. It was just a lady-bug. I had to laugh. I had asked God to cover me while in Honduras, which He did. I hadn't asked for it after I got back home. How precious are His blessings. How much we take them for granted.

I won't be able to blog while in Nic, but I should be able to post on Facebook through my phone. I'll journal the good old fashioned way writing in a notebook. Then I'll transfer that to my blog after I get back. I know there will be lots to say. God is really busy and I can't wait to see what all He does in the next few months. He is mighty. I am humbled to belong to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment