Friday, April 15, 2016

November 2015

November was filled with the usual stuff like classes, visitors, grocery shopping, market shopping, raising the baby, etc.   Our days are filled with just surviving life here.  It is amazing how quickly the heat zaps your energy and you don’t seem to get as much done in one day as you would in a climate controlled environment.  But we work hard and move forward in God’s work for us.

Marco, the doctor who has become a good friend (and makes housecalls!), opened a clinic in his neighborhood.  We made and installed curtains for the small little building.  There were no curtain rods (hard to find here), so we used a few skinny branches from a tree outside.  We prayed over the clinic and the work to be done there.  I wish we could help out more than we do, but our finances are stretched thin and we will do what God allows.  One way we have been a little bit of help is to write a letter to the American Nicaraguan Foundation to request assistance in meds and equipment for the Clinic.  Prayers are requested for future blessings from this organization.

We had a visit from Jill and Robin, from Empower Nicaragua.  I always love meeting with them when they come down.  They carried down my Christmas present to myself, a new Kindle Fire.  I was so excited to receive it!  Sofi will inherit my other one to use for herself and for videos for Victoria.  It’s always exciting to get new things!  And I use my Fire daily for ministry, research, and pleasure.  Very thankful for this gift!

I babysat Victoria while Sofi joined Malorie and Lindsay in adventures around town.  They took her with them a lot, too.  Victoria absolutely loves Malorie!  She’s like the baby whisperer!  When Zoe, Enia’s daughter, comes for class day, she spends every moment with Malorie.  We sure will miss her when she returns to the states!

During a storm one evening, Yamilet’s house was hit by lightning.  She called frantic.  It turns out that the electrical box took the hit and knocked out the power.  She had to replace wiring, but that was the only damage to the house.  My friend Tamara, and her ministry, helped with the cost of the wiring and materials.  We’re thankful for good friends, especially those with resources! 

One day, Sofi, Malorie and I went to visit our friend Bethany and meet her friend Cathy from Managua.  Cathy works with pregnant women and young moms.  We had a very quick meeting, due to one of Bethany’s youth girls going into labor.  It was a great connection for us to meet Cathy and we will be reaching out to her to help us with information sharing in the ministry to teen/young moms this coming year.

Another missionary friend, Jeff, was here from IL working with his ministry, Shining the Light.  They hold sewing classes when the teachers can come from the states.  Jeff invited Malorie and I over to visit one of the day-long classes.  It was great to get to meet Kathy and Trinka in person.  Their ministry has helped us out a lot.  We are thankful to be doing Kingdom work together in Nica.

Veronica’s husband had a stroke and was in the hospital for about a week.  Lots of prayers went up for him, and for her, too, as she cared for him.  Hospitals are no place you want to be here in Nica.  Prayer results are very evident here!

Every year, I buy a new daily journal for ministry and personal records.  I usually get them at the Lifeway Christian Store in the fall.  I had forgotten to get one while in the states in October.  My friend Kellie went to the store and took pics of the available choices.  I picked one out and she kept it for me until I could get it from her.  What a blessing!!!

We hosted a Thanksgiving dinner here at the house.  Just us, my friend Tamara and some Nica friends.  I think there were about 9 of us counting the babies.  We each made a sidedish and Tamara prepared a turkey breast in the crockpot.  I chipped in on the cost of the turkey.  Very expensive here in Nica, but we wanted it.  We all ate a lot, took a nap, then ate some more!  It was a nice day.  Tamara was very emotional because Thanksgiving is the one big holiday for her family to all be together.  Her husband and sons were in the states with the rest of the family.  Tamara couldn’t go due to ministry responsibilities and care for their young Nica daughters.  I hope that this is the only year that she has to miss out on her family gathering.  Sofi and Victoria and I took a family picture.  It turned out pretty nice.  It’s hard to get V to smile for the camera.  Little stinker.

Anibel, one of our teachers, came to pick up the very, very heavy, industrial overlock sewing machine that we had received.  He is going to overhaul it and use it from his house.  I’m thankful that he can get good use from it and I’m also glad to regain the space it was taking up in the sewing classroom! 


November was busy, challenging, happy, sad, just about every emotion you can think of.  I was thankful to be here in Nica another year.  I am oh, so thankful for my Nica family.  I am blessed beyond words by my Heavenly Father.  Thank You Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment