Friday, April 15, 2016

December 2015

December was an interesting month.  Spending the ‘holiday’ months of November and December in another country is very different than the craziness that goes on in the states.  It’s much less commercial and rushed and stressful.  But there is a busyness and anticipation in the air that belongs to being here in Nica.

Christmas is much anticipated, not for the gifts, but for the gathering together of family and friends.  There is consumerism in the fact that, by law, workers get a bonus (the thirteenth month) of one month’s salary for the end of the year.  They usually receive this at the end of November.  The stores have tons of items for sale, the streets are more full of vendors.  There are seasonal treats available and lots of food items featured in the stores.  Even though it’s in the 90’s, the sound of Christmas music, both English and Spanish, lends to a festive mood.

Many people don’t have money to spend on gifts and there is not the gluttony of multiple gifts for everyone like in the states.  There is not the pressure to give the most perfect, biggest and best gift to someone.  Anything you give is very much appreciated, even an apple or a bookmark or a hair accessory.  We enjoyed giving baked goods on a pretty platter as our gifts.  It was fun to enjoy the low pressure atmosphere. 

Sofi and I didn’t even exchange gifts, since we were pretty much broke.  Victoria received a few items from friends and we gave her some clothes and a little plastic pink chair.  Being 11 months old, she didn’t expect a lot of toys and was very happy.  Sofi enjoyed preparing gallina rellena (stuffed hen), a stew like dish with chicken, veggies, raisins, olives, and other goodies.  It is traditional for Christmas Eve (which is when Nicas celebrate Christmas).  We ate that for a couple of days and loved each bite! 

On December 1, I feel while holding Victoria.  Since she was in my arms, I couldn’t catch myself and ended up tearing my MCL in my right knee.  I ended up on complete bedrest with an immobilizer on my leg (and crutches) for the majority of the month.  (an xray and untrasound revealed the need to see a doctor in the states when I took my trip in January).  I could still work on the computer and do a lot of the crafts from bed and from chairs.  It was inconvenient and uncomfortable, but I was so thankful not to be in constant pain.  I just wasn’t mobile.

Sofi and Victoria spent a few days with extended family in Managua the week before Christmas and then spent Christmas Eve at her maternal Grandmother’s house here in León.  I enjoyed being by myself with Jesus, which is what I usually do each Christmas, and I love it.  We had a very nice time just spending time together in a low-key manner, thankful for our family that God has brought together.

Malorie flew out to the states on the 9th, and I rode in the car with her to the airport at 3:30am and made sure she got through immigration and all ok.  Then I hopped back in the car for the ride back to my bedrest.  We threatened to hide her passport and keep her here forever, but she really did need to get back for her twin sister’s wedding later in the month.  Victoria missed her terribly and looked for her in ‘her’ room often.  We were so blessed by Malorie’s 2 month stay with us.  She wants to come back and we are very ready to have her in our midst anytime she wants. 

Lindsay was in and out a lot during the month.  She was real busy with the community that she works in and spent a lot of time in the homes of some of the members of the church.  I think she really enjoyed her holiday time with the people she works with and ministers with.

Our classes were on vacation for a couple of weeks, so the teachers came and cleaned and reorganized the sewing classroom.  They even made curtains to cover the front of some shelves.  They did a great job and they love their new organizational system.  I try not to mess things up when I need to look for things.  Lol

Even though, by law, I’m not required to give the ‘13th month’ bonus to our part-time workers, I give it when I can and did so this year.  (that’s why Sofi and I didn’t exchange gifts, we wanted to be able to bless the workers)  It’s such a nice time to show appreciation to each other from the heart and not only from the wallet.

I spent a lot of time getting things in order for my trip to the states in January.  It was originally scheduled for 1 week and geared to take care of some administrative stuff.  After my fall, I had to arrange to have doctor appointments and an MRI on my knee.  My friend and doctor, Bob Wilson, was wonderful in getting things arranged for me.  It can be hard to handle these kinds of things from another country.  God led in many ways through the whole process.  I’m so thankful.

Sofi and Victoria spent New Year’s Eve at her maternal grandmother’s house, visiting with her aunt from Costa Rica.  They got all dressed up and looked adorable.  Sofi felt bad about leaving me home alone, but I treasured the time to talk with God about the past year and the promises of the new year.  And then, of course, there were the fireworks that went on for hours and hours overnight.  So we slept in on New Year’s Day.  Lol


2015 was a crazy year alright.  Victoria was born in January and we had different experiences with health issues, including Sofi’s minor surgery here at the house, my 2 month bout with Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, my torn-up knee, and off and on bouts of the usual colds for baby Victoria.  But all in all, it was a wonderful year and we felt God’s hand in every moment.  We are very blessed to get to live here and serve God in this ministry.  He is Sovereign and Faithful and Good.


No comments:

Post a Comment