Friday, April 15, 2016

February 2016

I began the month of February finishing up duties and opportunities in the states.  I had my knee brace and cane and was mobile!   I had mixed feelings about being in the states so long.  I was missing Nica and my family very much.  But I was so thankful for each and every detail that God took care of while I was on my extended stay in AR.  It was a chance to move forward in many areas that required my attention.  It’s hard to find time to concentrate while working in Nica.  I was so thankful for Cathy and Jack Krupka taking care of me in every way.  What a blessing!

I travelled back to Nica on the 3rd.  My experience with assistance at the airports was very lacking, especially compared to my trip to the states.  But the long day of travel came to an end and I was oh, so happy to return home! 

I arrived at the house about midnight.  The ladies had made a display on half of a wall in the sewing classroom.  It highlighted a lot of the different items we make in classes.  I love the idea!  We are going to expand on that idea!  They had made 3 throw pillows for our ‘Nica daybed’ in the front room.  I loved the surprises.

I made it to Sofi’s room and we woke up Victoria.  She was half asleep and half shy.  I was afraid that she would forget me in the month I was gone.  I was sad at first that she didn’t come to me, but Sofi said not to worry.  We all went to sleep and the next morning V was her old self.  One huge surprise was that V had started walking while I was gone.  No one told me.  I can’t believe they kept the great surprise!  I was in the office and started out the door to the hallway and V met me walking!!!  I started shouting “she can walk!!!”.  Everyone was laughing.  What a great treat for me.  I can’t believe she is growing up so much!  She also turned one year old while I was gone.  We are planning her birthday party for April with Sofi’s.  V won’t know the difference, and will probably enjoy it more, since she will be a few months older, anyway.

The ministry was able to bless Yamilet, Enia and Veronica with Kindle Fires, that were on sale for $49.  I had a great time giving them to the girls!  They immediately set them up and starting looking at Pinterest for skills ideas!  I was so thankful to be able to do that!

My friend Freddy came by for a visit.  He has some cool things going on and is improving his English all of the time.  He is a hard worker and I’m proud of him.

Tamara and I had a ‘frozen hot chocolate’ date at one of our favorite restaurants.  We needed to catch up on each other’s lives and ministries.  We live only 2 houses apart, but months can go by without seeing each other.  These visits are special.

My Nica phone was an older model and I was wanting one with keys I could actually type on.  Sofi’s phone was so bad, that she couldn’t use it for phone calls anymore.  I was praying about what to do.  Her phone was the priority, and I was planning on spending about $50-60 for one for her.  Tamara sent me a link from Amazon for a phone exactly like I wanted (keyboard and dual chips and like a smart phone) for only $34 each.  I ordered 2!!!  Now Sofi and I have wonderful phones that function!  Our friends Chris and Scarlett, from Twelve Churches ministry carried them down for us.  What a great blessing!  It was like Christmas all over again!  And what a bargain!  God is so good!

I got word that my friend Traci Davis passed away from cancer.  She fought a long hard battle and praised God in every moment.  She was such a blessing to me and everyone who knew her.  She loved our ministry so much.  I feel that she is with us in spirit and it makes me smile to think she is my partner here.  She will always be a part of the work here in Nica.

Sofi started school on Saturdays at a Christian school, which only costs $10 per month.  She goes all day and we started having a babysitter for V.  But V is very attached to mamá.  After a few weeks of her crying and wanting me, we decided to free the babysitter and I would watch V every Saturday.  Sofi is doing very well in school.  Most weeks, she is the only one in her grade, so it’s like having private classes.  The school is on our block, so it’s very convenient.  She eats lunch there, since they only get about 10 minutes.  Victoria and I do fine here at the house.  The only rough spot is when she gets tired at naptime and Mamá’s breast is not here.  Once she is exhausted, she lets me walk her around and finally she passes out with her head on my shoulder.  I lay down with her on my chest (she wakes up otherwise) and we rest until Sofi gets home, anywhere between 2:30 and 3:30.  I don’t plan on doing anything else on Saturdays except watching V.  She does like to help me hang out my laundry, so we accomplish that together.  I love getting to have our special time together.  Once the naptime challenge is conquered, it will be golden!

Our friends daughter, Ilia, turned 2 years old on Feb 14.  We went to her birthday party (which are very big deals here) and had a good time.  I crocheted a babydoll blanket for Ilia’s doll. 

Sofi and Victoria had made me a surprise for Valentine’s Day.  A picture for the wall of V’s foot and hand prints and a little poem.  V’s foot slipped when making the impression and it looks like her foot is about 2 inches longer that normal.  How perfect!  I loved it.  They also made me a wall hanging in blue to go with my room.  I gave Sofi a gift and card and V got a Valentine teddy bear.  It was a sweet day.

We did a lot of cleaning and rearranging of stuff.  We have to do this quite often.  The cleaning is needed every day and the organizing and rearranging is needed about once a month.  It keeps us busy, though. 

Sofi’s half sister, Michelle, visited from the states with her husband, daughter and aunt.  They spent the day with Sofi and V and went to the beach.  They brought Sofi and V the most perfect gifts.  It was so good to meet them and I enjoyed them very much.  I’m glad that Sofi has been able to connect with this part of her extended family.

Enia was out most of the month due to sickness.  Veronica and I filled in teaching the sewing classes in her absence.  She finally started going to some doctors to find out the problem.  She was sick and sad and ready to be healthy!  Sickness is hard here.  The medical help is lacking and confusing.  All part of a third world country.

I continued to stay at the house a lot for the month.  I was mobile with the brace and cane, but it was a hassle to get in and out of taxis and shop with my hands full.  I wore the brace most of the time and I could tell it was really helping me a lot to protect my knee from twisting.  I was glad to be out of bed and chairs and get some walking exercise in, even if it was just in the house.  Every day brought improvement!  God is faithful!

All in all, February was a good month.  The days go by so fast.  You stop for a moment and another month has gone by.  I pray that God guides me to use each moment in a way that glorifies Him and that I don’t waste any moments.

He is faithful, worthy, awesome, loving, merciful and just plain wonderful!



No comments:

Post a Comment