Monday, June 15, 2009

June 15, 2009

Another week has flown by. I tried to post a few days ago, but the wireless access I was on dropped me like a hot potato. I'm not taking a good connection for granted anymore. It kind of makes me think of what it might be like for God when we are talking to Him, but not really giving Him our full attention. Then, whoops, there we go off on a tangent in our minds and we drop the connection to Him at the moment. I'm not going to take those special moments with Him for granted anymore either. He deserves my full attention just because He's God. I'm so thankful that He is patient with me.

I had a fun week last week. There were more meetings with people heading up local ministries and projects. It's so cool to hear about what God is doing in and through other people's lives. He is awesome just to keep track of it all. And to think He is right in the middle of it all, too. Praises, praises, praises to Him!!

Friday I got the chance to accompany some senior adults to Terra Studios for a little road trip. This is the place that makes those little 'blue birds of happiness'. Besides the glassware, they also have a number of artists who work with pottery. It's a very cool place. I loved everything they have all around the grounds. Even the trashcans are imaginative. I bought a few souvenirs from the 'seconds' piles. (Things that weren't quite perfect). Besides being cheaper (yay) I have a heart for those things that might be considered misfits. Keeping in mind that I'm trying to remain mobile, I just got one little bluebird and a few clay coins. It was rainy while we were there, so we didn't get to explore the grounds very much, but it was really fun. I'm looking forward to going back on a sunny day sometime soon. Of course, the best part of the excursion was to spend time with some of my favorite people! And to get to know others better, too.

I've been house/kid/pet-sitting for the Peevys this week while mom and dad are on the Paris mission trip. The kids are so grown up that there wasn't much for me to do for them. In fact, their social life is so full, I had to make an appointment to have lunch with them over the weekend! They are really great kids and I love spending time with them. It was sad to drop them off for church camp this morning. I'll miss them this week! It's just me and the dogs (and 1 fish) for a few days. Then the kids and mom and dad all get back on Friday afternoon. The Peevys have always made me feel like part of the family and I love the fact that I feel so at home here in their house. I am truly blessed with wonderful friends.

Starting Friday night, I'll be back at Deanna's. She was gone for a week and returned the night I started staying here at the Peevy's. We spoke on the phone, but haven't seen each other in over a week. I guess we won't get tired of each other for a while at this rate!! I do look forward to spending time with her this weekend. She's such a blessing to me. I'm also looking forward to taking Jet for walks in the evenings, too.

There is much going on this summer at FBCR. I'm so excited and blessed to be a part of some of the planning. It's keeping me busy, but I guess that keeps me from getting into too much trouble! I'm just loving meeting new people and catching up with others that I haven't seen in 2 years. It gives me a chance to network with people and help get them plugged into some ministries that they have a passion for.

Tonight I met with a few ladies for a book review-Bible study that will last through July. It's on a book that I happened to have read my first year in NYC. I'm thrilled to discuss it with others and it's been a blessing to reread it.

I'm looking forward to the fall Ladies Bible Studies. I'm so thirsty for the Word. I just can't get enough. And discussing it with other people is a fine way to get to know them, too.

I still am missing NYC alot. I keep thinking I'll call someone and meet them for a smoothie or dinner or something and then I remember I'm not in the city anymore. I'm thankful for the friends I have there. I've also been blessed to keep up with some friends who I met there, but are now in places throughout the states. What a blessing the internet is! Yay for emails and facebook!

I'm doing pretty well on my healthy lifestyle. As long as I can prepare my own stuff, I get along pretty well. I'm always looking for new info and recipes and ideas for eating healthy. I've had a few rough times (mostly early mornings), but it gets easier to deal with as I go along. I'm not angry about it anymore. I just have to take each day as it comes and know that I'm not in control. I must do what I know is best for my health, but I must accept the circumstances of each day and rejoice even in the hard times. I'm thankful that I can still function and I'm thankful that I have the flexibility to rest and pull back from my schedule when needed. I can't ask for more than that.

I really am enjoying exploring cooking in ways other than what I've been brought up knowing. It's also opening up the chance for other relationships that I might not have gotten to have. Not to mention getting to taste new foods that were foreign to my Midwest and Southern background. Living in NYC really broadened my culinary horizons and for that I'm grateful! I'm looking forward to being a 'mad scientist' in the kitchen!

Well, the dogs are wanting my attention, so I think it's time for a little more spoiling. (it's a risk you take when you ask me to pet sit!)

I'm so thankful for the life that God has given me. And I'm so thankful for friends who support me through prayers, love and finances so that I can serve Him in this way as a missionary, even in my hometown. Join me in praying that He will be honored and glorified through everything I do and say. I love Him so.

No comments:

Post a Comment