Monday, June 15, 2015

March 2015

Another month of busyness and blessings!  Every week the classes are more and more fun as more people come to learn new things and get to hear about Jesus.

Along with regular everyday life, we had a few extra items going on.  Sometimes, I don’t know how God fits everything in.  I feel like such a slug at times, and other times, I’m so overwhelmed by what all is going on.  I have to remember to depend on God, who is the Master planner (and created time, by the way) and to get out of His way and be obedient to Him!

Our friend Cristhian was in the hospital for a few days.  As I’ve mentioned before, the health care here is awful and the hospital is the last place anyone would want to be!  You can for your patient yourself; food, meds, etc.  His father was with him part of the time, but he was alone most of the time, because his parents both work.  Sofi took some food and meds to him from us.  We called as often as we could to keep him company.  Thankfully, he was released after a few days.

A friend of a friend contacted me to bring some donated clothes to us to distribute.  We were very thankful, although, the clothes were very much picked over.  We salvaged a few things and then passed the rest on to those in bigger need.  We did get to bless some people with the suitcases, though.  These are used for keeping clothes in, since many people don’t have furniture for that kind of thing.  We were thankful that we could do what we could.

My friend, Freddy, came to me with a project.  He is currently recording medical terminology from a huge book.  He asked if I would help with the English recordings.  We try to find time to go to a little recording studio and pronounce the words.  I’m getting an education!  This is a long process over much time, but it’s fun and I got to meet some new friends who have blessed me!  I’m looking forward to continuing this project with Freddy!

A Gringa friend has a little baby, who uses a pack n play like us.  She asked if I could make a mosquitero (mosquito net cover) for her, similar to the one I made for Victoria’s stroller.  I know have the appropriate pattern prepared to make these.  Fun!

I had a meeting with another missionary about us providing sewing classes for some ladies in 2 barrios that his ministry works in.  We agreed to have a six week class for the leaders, and then they can teach the others.  I love getting to network with other missionaries.

Through yet another ministry, we taught classes to women in a special barrio for six weeks.  It was fun, but our time was really stretched.  We’ve realized that we need to stick to teaching classes here at the ministry house and inviting the others to join our scheduled classes.

There are 2 seasons in Nicaragua, summer (no rain) and winter (rainy).  March and April are the end of the summer season and it is very HOT and dusty!  When the sugar cane fields and peanut fields are harvested, it creates huge clouds of dust.  This blows into the city and wreaks havoc!  Since the houses are all open to the outside, we get covered in dust that is in the air.  Some days you cannot even see 10 feet in front of you.  We had a couple of really bad days in March.  We pretty much stayed in my private rooms (the most closed up) and slept there, ate there, watched movies, worked, etc)  So crazy!

My birthday was very low key this year.  I didn’t even tell anyone about it.  Sofi say it on facebook, and a few of our friends surprised me with food and a cake.  It was fun.  But I don’t see turning 58 as any big deal.  Now, I might have to celebrate turning 60 in a fun way, though! 

Sofi started classes to finish her last 2 years of highschool.  Since she has the baby, she cannot go to regular school.  The classes she attends are for review to pass exams.  They are very difficult.  But she is determined to finish her education and I applaud her for that!  It’s no big deal to just quit here, so I am proud of her ambition.

We were blessed to receive an old, industrial style, overlock sewing machine from the mother of a friend I met at the recording studio.  It used to be a treadle machine and someone stuck a motor on it.  It needs a complete overhaul, but Anibel, who teaches our advanced sewing classes (and is a tailor by trade) looked at it like it was a sports car!  We are very thankful and blessed to have it.  Once it is up and running (and we are trained on it), production is going to skyrocket!  Yay for the ladies!

I worked on 2014 taxes for hours and hours and hours.  Blah!  Not my favorite thing to do!  But a necessary evil in this world.

The most enjoyable thing to happen in March, was to have a visit from my ver special friend, Oliver Martinez!  He came down with a team to work with another ministry, and planned to spend his free day with me.  He is one of the board of directors for LGM and a very dear friend.  His visit was like a breath of fresh air!  I needed his prayers, encouragement and excitement so much!  He got to meet a lot of the people here at the ministry.  Even though it was not a regular class day, some of the people came over anyway to meet him.  He loved the ministry house and seeing how God planned for us to be here.  I took him around town and he had a few meals with us.  It was an amazing day!  He shared some of what God is doing in his life and we got to encourage each. 


God has been so good to us.  Ministry here is not easy, but it is such a blessing to get to be here and be used by God for His purposes.  Obeying and glorifying Him is all I want for my life.  I know I fall short in so many ways, but He is faithful to provide, equip, encourage and sustain.  He is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment