Monday, March 2, 2015

The Rest of December 2014

The two main events for December were, of course, the Baby Shower and Christmas.  Those deserved their own posts.  But there was a lot more going on during the month, even though many things in life slow to a trickle during this time of holiday and school being out.  Here are just some of the highlights…

We did take a week off from classes, so that the teachers could enjoy time home with their families and preparing for the holiday festivities. 

Veronica and I visited the community of Troilo, about 45 minutes into the country.  This is a place where some of our students come from and there are more women who would like to learn to sew, but it’s inconvenient to come into to town often.  Besides the bus fare costing a couple of dollars each way, there is only one bus into León and one bus back out to Troilo each day, therefore, a whole day is spent for a 2 hour class.  Many women cannot be gone from home that long.  We are excited that there are 6 women who want to learn to sew and then teach others in the community.  The ladies are so much fun, too!  We also made a new friend with a taxi driver that God ‘just happened to bring to us’.  We were able to bless his family with some extra money when we hired him to transport us and the machines and supplies to the community for weekly lessons.

Our neighbors, Jason and Issa, were visiting the states for a few months and were scheduled to return to León in mid-December.  Just a few days before departure, Jason realized that he had lost his passport.  After much scrambling, they arrived on Christmas Eve.  But, while they were gone, a fire had broke out in the electric box of their house.  No damage, except for needing to rewire much of the house.  Unfortunately, there are no building codes here, so anyone can wire and plumb a house.  It results in problems sometimes.  But we are very glad that the only consequence to this fire was that the guests who rent rooms were without electricity for a day. 

Speaking of Jason’s Guesthouse/Hostel, while I was renting a room from him last year while looking for my house, I had met a guy from Holland named Daniel.  He came back to León for another visit and I was pleasantly surprised when he showed up on my doorstep to say hello.  He loved what we have done with the house and it’s fun to share with him all that God has done here with the ministry.  (as I was typing this, Daniel actually stopped by to return a book.  How funny!)  He’ll be leaving for home in Holland again next week, with a stopover in New York to visit friends.  How fun!

Jasmina spent a few nights with us during the month.  One evening, she and Sofia went to a music event at our church.  I know the music was great, but I just can’t handle the loud volume in an enclosed space with my hearing problem.  I was glad that Sofi got to go, though.

Sofi’s stepmom from Managua visited one night.  She has come a couple of times.

Sofi and I visited Lesly in her home, which was fun.  I don’t usually get to go to people’s home much, with all that goes on here at Living Grace House. 

Jeremy, Kelly and their baby Joy came for a visit one night.  How fun.  She is walking now and is going ninety miles an hour.  No wonder her mamma is so skinny!  She is very sweet and fun.  I’m glad that they are in my life.

Another fun thing that I get to do is pass along money blessings from a friend in the states to her former housekeeper here.  It allows me to get to see Angela.  She said she might be interested in taking some sewing classes in the future, too.

While on my morning walks, I get the chance to run into people that I normally do not see.  One morning I was walking near Central Park and heard my name called.  There were three ladies from the Monte Horeb community that used to be in my Bible Study a few years ago.  How wonderful to see them.  Even though I couldn’t remember their names, it was heartwarming that they remembered me and spoke lovingly of my time in Bible Study with them.  I love those little surprises from God.

December ended with the usual fireworks (for hours and hours) in the street for New Year’s Eve.  Fireworks are very popular here and are going off at random times for no real reason.  You get used to them for the most part.  However, I don’t like it when the end up in my house (through the garden openings).  But God protects us from danger.  Now, if I could just get used to that loud noises!


God has been so faithful and gracious with all the blessings that He has brought to me and us and the ministry throughout 2014.  How awesome to remember it all.  I love Him more and more each day.  He is Sovereign.

No comments:

Post a Comment