Monday, March 2, 2015

Christmas 2014

This was the third Christmas that I was blessed to spend in Nicaragua.  I knew what to expect about the customs and rituals of the city.  And after the busyness of the baby shower on the 14th, I was ready to focus on Jesus’ birthday and all that comes with it.

For many years, I have coveted my special ‘alone time with God’ on Christmas.  This year was special because I would be spending it with Sofia and thinking about the coming birth of baby Victoria in January.  We were looking forward to mostly quiet days and evenings in our home, just enjoying being together.

I debated about buying a Christmas tree.  The front of the house, which is the public area for classes, is very simple and streamlined for class use.  I prayed a lot about it and decided that if I could find a tree that I liked within my strict budget, I would go for it.  Well, God blessed me with a tree for less than $20 and I was thrilled!  I got a couple of sets of lights and then we decorated with items that represented our classes.  I put some colorful bracelets with the icons depicting the salvation message on the tree to represent the Bible studies.  Instead of garland, we used giant ric-rac.  We used ribbon and wire and beads to make large replicas of the earrings we had sold.  Organza ribbon flowers with old buttons were very colorful and whimsical.  We made ornaments that looked a lot like our macramé bracelets and put some wire inside some to make them into shapes of stars, bells and crosses.  We hung leather keychains on the tree, too.  My friend Tamara had made some wisemen from craft sticks and fabric.  She made me a set for my tree.  Veronica taught a few of us how to make giant bows and they were special on the tree.  We had no gifts to put under the tree, but that wasn’t the point. 

We celebrated Jesus’ ‘Birthday Tree’ and enjoyed looking at it all the time.  Many people enjoyed it during the weeks as they came for classes or just to visit.  It was one of the best $20 purchases that I had made in a long time.  It is custom here to leave a tree up (if you can afford such a luxury) until Kings Day on January 8th.  But I took the tree down on Jan 2, because I knew that the following week would be so busy with classes resuming and all.  This gave me another opportunity to discuss the difference between meaningful celebration and just tradition.

Another custom for December is Purisma, or the Day of Mary, on Dec 7-8.  It is a combination of Christmas, trick or treat, and July 4th from the North American perspective.  Being a Catholic culture, the Virgin Mary is worshiped.  Unfortunately, she is worshiped more than her Son Jesus.  On Dec 7, stores, parks, homes, churches, etc., all decorate with special things to honor Mary and her Virgin birth.  People all meet at the main Cathedral in Central Park for a special mass.  Then, in front of the church in the park, a drama is played out with characters made from frames and firecrackers and such.  It is very chaotic, and dangerous for those near the fireworks.  Then the people go by foot all over the city like trick or treating and ask at each house or store “Who could cause so much joy?”  The answer is “the anointing of Mary”.  Then the people receive little gifts from the homes and stores.  Usually, the gifts are candy, small plastic items, little bags of salt or sugar or soap or other items for the home.  Thousands of people are in the streets and you can hardly drive at all.  It’s very crazy.  There are fireworks going off all over the town until well past midnight.  Special meals are served in each home.  Then on the 8th, everything is closed for the holiday and to recuperate!  Mary is very much worshiped and celebrated.  And the town loves a good party!

We spent the December holidays at home, enjoying time with each other before our lives change with the coming of baby Victoria.

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, we enjoyed some favorite dishes and did crafts and watched movies.  Our friend Jalisa came over for lunch and we had a great visit.  It was a very special and lovely time to celebrate our Jesus and our family coming together.



No comments:

Post a Comment